Topic

OK you Montana Lurkers….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion OK you Montana Lurkers….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

You guys are obviously avoiding the "Pre-Trip Planning" Threads lately. I need a spy up there to help me nail down the best possible trip for my oldest boy. If you're a Beartooth's Guru and have a spare minute, can you scan this link and give me a hand? It's just been so long since I've been up there, that I'm worried about the validity of my recollections. And July is a little earlier than I really wanted to go. Dang "Real Life" all to heck!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78572

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Why don't you call the backcountry office of Yellowstone N. P.? Their number is 307-344-2160. Very helpful people, and maybe someone in the office can help you.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

I have the numbers for the various District Rangers. I always try put together a rough trip plan and then call the Ranger(s) to walk through it with him/her/them for any and all kinds of issues along my intended path. I'm not quite there yet, as I am still trying to decide what that route will be.

I'm just looking for someone that lives up that way to lend me there wisdom, based on their knowledge of the area and maybe some first hand observations on snow melt and stream levels. A guy can always hit up the sno-tels, etc. But, no one knows better than someone that lives in the area and spends year after year out in it. If you can find "that guy", you can even get updates on the conditions, as the trip draws nearer. Sometimes, you even get lucky and get to hear a great story that they encountered while out in the area you are heading to. Bonus.

Michael Wainfeld
    Spectator

@adox

Locale: EastCoast

Try asking in the Rocky Mountain Section of the Backpacker.com forum.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

I'll give that a try.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools