Topic

What kind of scale do you use for weighing gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion What kind of scale do you use for weighing gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nathaniel Hein

@nandj

Locale: Mid South

I have been displeased with the performance of my kitchen scale for weighing my gear. It is not sensitive enough, and the plate is rather small for holding much. Anyone want to share there favorite scale? Anyone use a hanging hook/spring type of scale?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I use a Salter digital kitchen scale which is accurate to within a gram. Sometimes I need to zero it out with a lightweight tray on top to hold larger items.

Michele Mason
    BPL Member

@bianchilvr-2

If you have a tare on your kitchen scale, just tare an empty coffee can on it. Then you can balance larger items easily on the can without doing any math (and save the $$$ for gear you can hike with).

Scott White

@sdwhitey

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Its not very convenient but I just go to the post office and use the scale in the lobby.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Yes, can anyone recommend a hanging hook scale? The first one I bought (for fisherman), was wildly innacurate (indicated value almost twice actual), the second one had a hook failure.
    Thanks.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I've gotten a really nice hanging scale from feedbacksports.com called the alpine digital scale, it was about $59.00 usd but is extremely accurate.

Nathaniel Hein

@nandj

Locale: Mid South

John,
    Yeah I have been using a salter kitchen scale, must be a cheap one though as it is only accurate to 1/2 an once. I have used a tray and zeroed it out but the problem is that the digital screen is unreadable with a larger tray. Thanks for the suggestion, what model is it that you use?

Larry,
    That looks like a promising option. Do you use a hanging basket to hold small items?

Thanks for the help!

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

I just use a ti pot and hang that from the hook, you can zero the scale.

Matthew Swierkowski

@berserker

Locale: Southeast

I use a Pelouze 5 lb digital postal scale I got from Office Max or Office Depot or one of those type places for $25 a few years ago. It measures down to 1 gram. Like others here I just use something on the smallish sized plate and tare it out. The best thing I have found to use for this is the cover for a spindle of 50 CDs. If I need more room then I will sometimes take a small box and put it on top of the spindle before taring everything out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools