Topic

Mount Lyell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Mount Lyell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

After a long winter, it's good to be back in the High Sierra…

Mount Dana

Helen Pass

Cathedral Range

Kuna Peak

Ritter Range

Crampons on, heading up the Lyell Glacier

The low snow year meant there was only 4-5" of snow on top of blue glacier ice. Good thing we brought the crampons.

From the summit, towards Hutchings Creek drainage

Maclure Lakes

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Beautiful photos, the alpenglow on Kuna is amazing! Thanks for the quick look at some familiar scenery. What type of crampons do you use (or recommend)?

Dave T

@davet

Beautiful! Thanks for the report and pics. Making me want to get back up in the High Sierra….

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yeah, the sunset that evening was outrageous. There were some weird high altitude clouds that turned bright pink shortly after that, but I didn't get a photo.

I had the Kahtoola K10 crampons. They are overkill for your standard "go over a pass in the afternoon" kind of stuff, but for light duty mountaineering they are great. They take the sketchiness out of high-angle snow in trail runners. You can't really frontpoint with them, but that's more a limitation of light shoes than the crampons. Steel crampons are nice because you can walk over rocks without trashing them. When Chris S and I were going to do the Rae Lakes Loop in early May, I was planning on bringing them; that's a perfect application for these.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Great pics Andrew! Jealous for sure…one day I'd love to summit Lyell

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools