Topic

Pure Grits Adequate for Snowy Mtn Passes on JMT ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pure Grits Adequate for Snowy Mtn Passes on JMT ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

my buddy and I are heading out for a partial JMT trip in 3 days,
    and he is insisting on using his Pure Grit running shoes.
    he is a tough runner, but an absolute newbie in the Sierra and doesn't have a clue what he is in for.
    we will be headed over several mountain passes, most of them snow covered.

I have never used the Pure Grits, but their traction and durability do not look adequate for what we have planned (at least to me).

anyone have Pure Grit experience in the snowy mountains ?
    (we will have poles but not ice axes).

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

If the snow is soft, yes pretty much any shoe is fine.

If the snow is hard, no shoe will work.

Runout high angle snow that is hard in shoes is a deathwish. Cross snowy areas in the afternoon when it is soft and a pair of vans will be just as good as those fancy treads.

If your friend thinks he can cross a snowy frozen pass in the AM, dont follow him and make sure you say "goodbye" :-)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

There is a large gradation of conditions that exist between 'hard' and 'soft' snow. Many of those conditions it would work best to have a stiff soled boot with vibrum tread… not just for traction, but also for kicking steps into the snow if necessary…

It is good advice to cross the snow sections mid day or so when the snow softens up… but… it doesn't always work out that way… sometimes you want to cross in the morning…

bill

Anonymous
    Inactive

"we will be headed over several mountain passes, most of them snow covered."

This time of year, in a low snow year, you might consider taking crampons. Or at least Micro Spikes. Taking a winger on hard snow with a bad run out, even low angle, is almost certain to end unpleasantly.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Just to clarify, my input is based on my experiences with the original Pure Grit shoes. I have no experience with the newer Pure Grit 2s.

I find the Pure Grits to be slippery on even wet pavement/rocks. I don't think I would feel comfortable trusting them on general "summer in the Sierra" snow travel or even wet, polished granite for that matter. I would prefer to wear a shoe with a more aggressive lug pattern and stickier rubber… which is too bad, as the shoes are otherwise super comfortable to hike/run in!

Maybe your buddy could pull it off if he paired his runners with some microspikes for the snow travel sections?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Adan Lopez has been exclusively using the original grits for probably over a year now. I've seen him get up and over anything and everything…snow, sand, mud, river crossings, etc. I briefly owned a pair and think they'd be sufficient.

I've looked over the Pure Grit2s and the traction appears better than the originals to me.

I say go for it. While I don't currently own a pair, they're certainly the type of shoe I'd wear up there…maybe just add microspikes if worried about snow.

Better he gets up there in a shoe he likes than try something entirely new just before a trip.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've been running in the 2's for a couple of months, the traction is pretty decent- if it's very rocky I'd be a little worried about my feet, the grits are definitely in the lightweight range w/o a lot of protection

with snow almost a certainty, for the minimal weight of microspikes I'd certainly be packing them- regardless of shoe choice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools