Topic

Which pack liner bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which pack liner bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I read somewhere here that there is a particular brand of trash compactor bag that weighs less than 2 oz. I think the regular ones you get at the grocery store are around 2.2 oz. That's what Mike Clelland's book says anyway.

I would need a bag sized for a 45-50 L pack.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

i got the Glad unscented trash compactor bags. i think 3-5 came in the box and fits my quilt and extra clothes with plenty of room to twist shut.

you don't need the full pack to be inside.. just the stuff that can't get wet. leave the cook stuff, tent, sleeping pad (depends on how your outer pack repels water) on top of the compactor bag.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I got my pack liners from MLD. Comes in a two pack, weigh 1.3 oz each, and fit my quilt and extra clothes which is all I'm interested in keeping dry. Plus they're clear which I like better than the black trash compactor bags I had been using. And they only cost $5.

Adam

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have been using the LiteTrail NyloBarrier pack liners for quite a while now and have been happy with them. As others, they are 2 for $5, however, as of now they are on backorder until 6/25/13 (estimated arrival date). And at 1 oz, these are lighter than the pack liners than I have from both MLD & GG.

http://litetrail.com/shop/backpacks/litetrail-nylobarrier-packliner

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I have to second the Lite Trail NyloBarrier. It's big enough for what you want, I think. Great now I'm going to go compare it with a regular compactor bag.
    Thanks,
    James

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

+3

If you know someone who tents houses for termites they will have cases of these bags.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Here are the listed specs of the LiteTrail pack liner:

Specifications

Weight: 1.0 oz (28.4 g)
    Size: 20 wide X 36" tall (12.7" diameter as cylinder)
    Tolerance: +/- 1/4" wide, +/- 1" tall
    Safety: FDA Food Grade

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Chad,

Thanks for the specs on the litetrail bag. My only concern would be if they are big enough for my needs. I will measure the Gossamer Gear bags and see how they compare.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

This is from LiteTrail's website:

"NOTE: Water resistant, not water proof. In high humidity or when exposed to direct contact with water over extended periods of time (~8 hours), this film could transmit a hint of moisture. This can be a good thing, because unlike a fully water proof material, NyloBarrier bags "breath" in terms of water vapor (not scent) and allow the contents to dry out on their own. In practice, most backpackers find these packliners are more than effective."

Question: Anybody had a problem with this liner when in prolonged rain?

Thanks!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

You can buy 20 Nylofume bags (compares to NyloBarrier) for $25 here:
    http://www.quantumtermite.com/termite-products-and-paperwork/nylofume-bags-20
    the smallest quantity I could find with some quick searching.

I use turkey oven bags from the supermarket for my sleeping bag and sometimes a second one for clothing. About $1-$2 each. Much easier to find. Smaller than Nylofume bags.
    http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/products/oven-bags/turkey-oven-bags/

Or maybe these bags, in a wider variety of sizes:
    https://www.truelibertybags.com/?page=Products
    Ostrich bags? Who knew?

— Rex

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Finding unscented trash compactor bags can be a challenge and I found some at a Lowe's store today. They are sold as the style selections brand (formerly RedMax) item #: 202069, model #: LWSS18WC044W. They measure 25.5"x32" giving a 18 gallon/68 liter volume with 2.5mil thickness. The have extensions at top for tying the bag shut that could be trimmed.

Andy Jarman

@andyjarman

Locale: Edge of the World

I don't use a pack liner.

With my pack (a cuben fibre, roll top, top loader with no pockets) I prefer loading my pack with my kitchen in one dry bag, my bathroom/toilet in another and my wardrobe/bedroom in another. The dry bags have to be see through and cheap to replace.

I have ordered three types of lightweight dry bags ( or 'compression sacks')to trial. Two have ingenious valves on them so the zip-lock closure on them doesn't pop open when you compress the contents. The valves are simply modified seals in the base of the plastic bag (not added devices) so they create absolute minimum/zero additional weight.

Google 'Eagle Creek compression bags' for one (reinforced with nylon webbing)and 'global travel products compression storage bags' for the other (here in Australia). The third type is the aLocksac bag, these I have been using for the past six months. These are very tough and stretchy but don't have any valves on them – which I have to say hasn't been a problem.

All three types of bag profit from being stuffed with soft gear (clothing). The spongy nature of the clothing gives the bags a satisfying 'vacuum sealed' appearance and reassures you that they are air tight.

Using transparent lightweight dry bags does away with pack covers (cuben fibre doesn't absorb or hold water) and pack liners. I can swim with the pack towed behind me on the end of my whistle string when crossing rivers/canyoning. It also lets you compress everything separately, and find things easily, without having to unpack the whole back pack. I find this a boon when its raining.

The aLocksac bags have lasted three one week pretty tough expeditions so far. I've yet to try the others, I'll write up how I go with them later when they have had some use.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

wow, seems like a lot of separate threads on compactor bags in the last few weeks.

FYI these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BXRGQA/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

are the right size and unscented. This isn't a guess. If you happen to have Amazon Prime then free shipping as well.

cheers

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

BUMP to my question above.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools