Topic

Katadyn Micropur MP1 availability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Katadyn Micropur MP1 availability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Davis
    BPL Member

@jd555

Locale: Chicago

I am having a hard time finding Katadyn Micropur MP1 tablets. REI doesn't list them on their site anymore. Amazon itself doesn't carry them. Katadyn's store says they aren't available online. LL Bean lists them, but not available until July 1. Does anyone know if they are being phased out? Or why they seem to be so hard to find?

jd

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The manager of a local gear store said he learned from his Katadyn rep that the company had moved its production of the tablets to a new, larger facility. They were having problems ramping up production, and the rep said it could be several months before they could ship it out. I found some Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets at a local Jax store, and it appears to be identical to the Katadyn tabs, right down to the foil packaging labels. Also, McNett's Aqua Mira chlorine dioxide tablets are available through their web site. All of these products produce a concentration of 4 ppm chlorine dioxide, so take your pick.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I've stockpiled Katadyn Micropur tablets for emergency preparedness as well as backpacking. I'd recommend you do the same when you can get them again.

While I use my Steripen Adventurer Opti for my bike bottle (fast purification) I always use Micropur tabs for my hydration bladder when I fill it up every evening. I feel it helps keep the hose and mouthpiece cleaner.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Yesterday, I decided to e-mail both Katadyn and Wisconsin Pharmacal (the distributers of Potable Aqua chlorine dioxide tablets), asking them when they expected to have the tablets back in stock. They both told me that they expected to have them back on the shelves mid-late September. The Wisconsin Pharmacal guy told me that ALL of the world's chlorine dioxide tablets are produced by a single German company (this was later confirmed by the Katadyn CS lady; the manufacturer is an independent company, and not affiliated with Katadyne, PA, McNett, nor with any other). They apparently had a fire in their production facility last January, and they were forced to shut down and relocate. He went on to tell me that the new facility is complete and has been inspected, they have stockpiled the raw materials to ramp up production, and they are in the process of gaining EPA product approval. Looks like the pills will be available again fairly soon.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Thanks Gary, I know a number of my friends on our local BP forum will appreciate knowing this.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Good News. I was about out.

Take a chance – ST*T your pants!!

Ben

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Yesterday, my pal mentioned that he saw some Aqua Mira ClO2 tablets on the shelf at our Boulder area Dick's Sporting Goods store. So if they have a store in your area, you might check that out. Otherwise, I have no idea where we can buy it for at least another month.

What has me confused though, is that the liquid 2-part form that Aqua Mira sells is readily available. Maybe we die-hard gram weenies are the only ones that buy it, and there aren't all that many of us, compared to the number of hunters, survival hatchet guys, and those into disaster preparedness. But I have pretty much given AM up, due to the weight compared to the pills. Especially after a McNett customer service guy wrote me about how they both act the same, take the same length of time to kill cooties, and both provide 4 ppm of chlorine dioxide when used as directed. According to him, the only difference is the cost.

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

My tablets turned into powder before the 4 yr shelf life expiration.
    I was keeping them as backup for my filter.
    When I went to get some more, the "Big-Box" outdoor store rep told me they would not stock them anymore, and he hinted that it was related to the issue I had.
    I am guessing that humidity attacked the tabs as the foil was beginning to unglue itself. I would bet that the next batch of tabs to be released is in better packaging.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools