Topic

Trip Ideas – (In or Around) Tennessee – Dog Friendly if Possible

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trip Ideas – (In or Around) Tennessee – Dog Friendly if Possible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Locale: Midwest

So I am leaving for Tennessee from Wisconsin around June 28th. Going to spend 1 or 2 nights visiting a friend while in Tennessee but I have 10 days of vacation total. That gives me at least 5 days to backpack!!!

Would like to do some backpacking along the way, preferably with my dog. However, I can also leave the dog at home.

Any suggestions for Backpacking trips in and around Tennessee? Anywhere from 1 night to 5 nights? 15 miles a day max.

Thanks in advance!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Most of the best backpacking is in eastern Tn. This time of year, its hot, so you'll want to be high or on a cool creek. These would be my top picks:

The Citico/Slickrock Wilderness fits pretty well; its on the Tn/NC border. Its a lot like the Smokies but fewer rules. There are some nice high balds and great creeks as well. Lots of old growth forest there. I think dogs are fine, but you might want to check.

Smokies would work well, but I don't think dogs are good there. And its a bit more crowded.

Roan Highlands area is a great. Its high and has long stretches of balds. Its more northeast Tn. The AT runs through it. The rhododendron may even still be in bloom up there. Great walk with lots of views.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Ben's pretty spot on—the Citico/Slickrock has some of the cleanest water in the Southeast (Slickrock Creek) and some high ground balds at 5,300 feet. There's enough trails to occupy a 5 day trip. Heck, maybe I'll see you there. It's my usual stomping ground.

On the other hand, depending on where your friend is in TN—I'd recommend the Mt Rogers backcountry, Wilburn Ridge and the Crest Zone, in southwast Virginia. Dog friendly, too. It's one of the best summer backpacking destinations in the South.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools