Topic

Estimating distance with Hillmap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Estimating distance with Hillmap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

When I plan routes using NG TOPO! I always add 10% to the distance I get with their route tool. However TOPO! has been discontinued and I am planning a trip in an area where I don't have TOPO!. Instead I am using Hillmap.com with mytopo.com maps. I'm guessing adding 10% to the distance measured with Hillmap.com route tool would yield similar results. Just want to make sure I am correct in this assumption. Anyone know if I am on the right track? Using the TOPO! route tool was a bit easier, kind of miss it.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just tried plotting a path using hillmap. It seems it would have a greater margin of error since it doesn't (?) support continuous paths. I found having to click each point tedious so I started spreading them out as far as possible.

I agree with about Topo route mapping being easier. I'm waiting for an application to replace it.

Two features I always wanted…
    1 have the app be able to follow a trail (e.g., dashed line) automatically
    2 be able to overlay another image (trail map) and trace that. This would require being able to stretch/shrink the image to align a couple of points with corresponding points on the topo map.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

Caltopo.com supports continuous path drawing. I like it more than hillmap in general, too.

Stretching an image to fit a topo is called "georeferencing an image" I believe. I have a bit of GIS software knowledge from school, and remember doing that. I haven't used it in a few years, but QGIS was a growing free GIS software back then which supported georeferencing images.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

I answered my own question this weekend. My son and I backpacked to a lake in the Uintas Friday afternoon. Before we went I measured the route using Hillmap and added 10% to that distance just like I do with TOPO!. Using my Garmin Forerunner I measured the route as we hiked in on Friday. The distance value I got with Hillmap and my gps where less than a tenth of a mile difference.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

How many miles was that, Jeff? Straight lines vs switchbacks? Elevation changes?

I tried caltopo and couldn't figure out how to trace out continuous paths. Frustrating in general; I had to start over 4 or 5 times. Lost it before I could figure out how to save it. Went back to Topo!. Just have to figure out how to get that to run on my new Mac.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

The route was 8.3 miles. There was a few ups and downs of 300-400 ft elevation change and a climb at the end of about 600 ft of elevation gain. Nothing too dramatic. Not really any serious switchback sections.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools