Topic

Running shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Running shorts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

I'm looking to get lightweight running shorts with a liner, to wear as underwear and to use alone for hiking, as well as swimming while in the backcountry. I'm looking at the golite 5" mesa and the patagonia 5" baggies. Are the baggies worth $20 more? Also, are the baggies to 'baggie' to wear comfortably under my hiking pants?
    Thanks, Eric

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

If you're talking about the long baggies. The short ones aren't bad from memory, but I'm not a fan of the liner, and the shorts are kind of over built for UL. They're definitely not running shorts.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

I just started running int he 7" pair and love these shorts. They have a slightly slimmer fit versus baggie which I really like and may help when layering them under pants. There's a 5" version as well. Nice hidden pockets for chapstick, goo gels, etc…

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-strider-shorts-7-inch?p=24646-0-961

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

whatever fits well and is cheap …

the ones on sale at your local outlet mall work just as well as any other $$$$ ones

;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The baggies are a little more water sport oriented than running shorts. I would lean to the running shorts side of things as the liners are less prone to chafing. Some water sport liners will feel like 80 grit sandpaper after a long day one the trail.

No way could I wear Baggies under regular pants, let alone running shorts with a liner. This is where wind pants work well. The wind pants would give you some options while your shorts dry after the swinmin' hole too.

The older style Ex Officio Amphi shorts are nice if you want a good combination of water and hiking shorts with a liner; otherwise, you can check the sports rack at outlet stores, TJ Maxx and Marshall's for all kinds of brand name running shorts by Nike, Brooks, TNF and others.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I cut out the liners in shorts. Improved hiking thermodynamics. The baggies last a long time and are cheap considering dollar cost averaging.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are lots of light nylon shorts without liners. I have a pair of TNF shorts that are Baggies clones, sans the liner. IMHO, the strength in shorts like baggies is the dead simple and comfortable design. The Patagonia brand will last a long time, no doubt there.

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Thanks for your thoughts. Looks like ill just pick up some simple nylon shorts w/liner to wear under my pants or hike in if it gets too hot. Hopefully, they won't feel too restrictive under pants.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Check your local thrift stores/goodwill. There are usually some decent athletic shorts there.

I really like the REI brand running shorts. They dry super fast and they work well as underwear. They are also very durable.

J Dos
    BPL Member

@damager

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts

I've had good luck with the GoLite Mesa running shorts. I picked them up for 25$ on sale. I'm 6'2" and I bought the mediums with 9" inseam and they fall right above my knees, which is my preferred length. I use the same pair for all of my trails runs (4x a week), dayhikes, and my backpacking trips. They have a liner, and I've come to prefer them over the regular unlined mesh shorts I used to wear. They are my baselayer, and if it gets cold out I will slip on my Montbell Dynamo wind pants. So for 8 ounces I have a versatile system.

My only complaint is they tend to stink up fast, but I've had that problem with every pair of synthetic running shorts I've ever worn. I wash them on trail and they dry in a couple of hours. That's another reason I like carrying the wind pants, so I can wear those while my shorts are drying. I pretty much always wear shorts unless I absolutely have to wear pants because of temp, poison oak, or tick infested trails.

I can honestly recommend the GoLite Mesa shorts. Never tried the ones from Patagonia.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I've backpacked and hiked in Patagonia Baggies 5" inseam for many years now, after destroying too many other pairs of light weight running shorts. I like the front pockets, though I don't need the back pocket. The liner doesn't give me any trouble. With the short inseam, I get more air circulation, and rarely have rashes or similar problems. As Colin Fletcher wrote many years ago, "Give your b*lls air". My Montbell wind pants fit over them just fine. If it gets colder, I switch to polypro long underwear with Baggies over, also works fine.

— Rex

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

FWIW, women's Baggies don't have a liner. You could go a size up and buy them in black or other "unisex" color, and no one will be the wiser.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

+1

Same system I have been using for about 30 years, other than switching from polypro to capilene. Had to buy two pair last year to replace my 80's vintage baggies which finally wore out.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I've exercised using shorts with a built in liner for a couple of years. What is the advantage of removing the liner? Weigh savings?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

"What is the advantage of removing the liner?"

A little bit of weight savings.

A little more air circulation in critical areas.

A lot more exposure of parts that shouldn't be exposed in town and around children.

— Rex

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This thread had me thinking of that episode.

I prefer shorts and underwear instead of a liner. Freeballing it in running shorts is only appropriate for solo hikes!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Prana flex.

I went to rei and gathered all the shorts I could find and three ate by fat the most comfortable. They are completely stretchy, unlike Patagonia baggies. The underwear is a stretch nylon. It has one pocket but no front pocket. Length is perfect.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools