Topic

Thunder Bay man keeps a bear at bay for nearly an hour, uses bear spray

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Thunder Bay man keeps a bear at bay for nearly an hour, uses bear spray

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

He said the bear charged at him repeatedly — even after he used his bear spray.

The biologist said making it back to his truck was like taking part in a 45-minute dance.

"We were like two feet away [from each other]," Foster described. "He'd stick his head out one side of the jack pine and I'd threaten to spray and he'd stick his head on the other side of the tree. It was almost comical, if the stakes hadn't been so high."

Foster, who has been working in the bush for more than 30 said he's "never sprayed a bear before."

"I've run into … Grizzlies out west and black bears here, but never in a predatory attack."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/story/2013/06/12/tby-bear-encounter-biologist-thunder-bay-bear-spray-opp-mnr.html

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

"That's when Foster ran at the bear and blasted it at close range with pepper spray — twice."

That dude is The Man.

The left out that, when the bear was finally tired, the biologist tamed it and now uses him to pull a plow.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

You have to ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well do ya…punk?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It was a Chuck Testa.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

From what I understand when a bear turns like this and starts to predate on humans then it needs to be put down..

There have been a number of situations in Yellowstone where the bears look on humans as prey and the only solution is to put them down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools