Topic

Aron Ralston and the Ten Essentials

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Aron Ralston and the Ten Essentials

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

My 2 essentials are my neck knife and firetseel. They stay on my body while I hike. If I ever loose my pack, I can still build a fire and comfortably survive a cold night.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Rob

Excerpts from the book

"I went on a month-long streak of climbing four-teeners in January, with close calls on all of them." Or after somewhat goading two others to ski down a dicey slope, an avalanche ensued nearly killing them all. He stated "I felt guilty about my own decisions: decisions based on ego, attitude, overconfidence, and ambition, which overrode the combined training and experience of our group." His two companions haven't spoken to him since.

What you said seems quite true. I think every risk he took just emboldened him. Maybe the loss of his arm (during a relatively safe trek) saved his life.

Dean

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools