Topic

Tenkara guide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara guide

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cullen Steele
    BPL Member

@csteele

Locale: Northwest

I'm new to fly fishing and would enjoy spending a day on the water with an experienced tenkara guide. Any recommendations in the seattle area?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Head over to Tenkara Guides LLC and ask them. They know most everyone in the west associated with Tenkara.

Also try [email protected] as they have a certification program and hopefully could give you a reference.

I started Tenakra in October of 2011, knowing Nothing about fishing. Guide fees are worth every penny IF the guides Are tenkara specific. A couple of my first experiences were poor because the guides were really just showing me traditional fly fish techniques on a tenkara rig. There is a lot more than that to tenkara, and to fishing tenkara.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Any ideas for a guide in the Denver metro area? I will be heading up there around July 16 to do some backpacking, but am looking at integrating tenkara into my trips. Also, if anyone has suggestion on gear, that would be great as well.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Riggs Flys Shop, 888-626-4460, in Ridgway has a Tenkara guide named Paul Vertrees who lives in Cañon City and guides all across the state.

Here is a video of Paul on a mountain trip. Not much fishing, but nice water.

A long time ago he frequented this forum. So in addition to Tenkara, he is also tuned into "minimal stuff". In the video he is guiding the CEO of Kifaru, so he swings both ways when it comes to gear.

He is "certified" by Tenkara USA, meaning he'll Won't set up your tenkara rod with western rig and say watch the bobber. He knows his stuff and is a great guy.

John Lamkin
    BPL Member

@pigbutter

Locale: Norcal

Anybody know any guides in the SF Bay Area(maybe Putah Creek) or Central Sierra(preferably Highway 88 corridor)?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I don't see any listed on the TUSA Guides Network except Fred Ramirez in the Fresno area.

Post your question over on the TenkaraUSA forum. There may not be any official guides, but you may find some folks willing to show you the tips and tricks. They are a great group of folks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools