Topic

BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BD z-poles suitable for pitching tarps/shelters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Anyone have info or opinions on using the BD Ultra Distance Z-poles for pitching a tarp?
    They seem tough enough just wanting some more feedback

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

right, just not long enough. You need carbon pole jacks.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

BD have the heavier but adjustable FL type.
    The top section has 20cm of play.
    The 105-120 cm type would work with most shelters.
    460g vs 270g (6.7 oz more a pair) for the UL Z

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I've got the 120cm pair and it worked just fine for my hexamid; just playing with a new stratospire 1 and used both an adjustable CF pair and the BD z poles. Honestly, I got a better pitch with the z poles!!

I assume it depends on the shelter…waiting on a cuben duomid and I'm curious to see how doubling up the Z poles will work as the center pole. I can certainly take the heavier alpine cork ones, but I'd prefer to be able to use the z poles.

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

I've used the 120cm ultra distance with an MLD Cuben Grace Duo and they worked great for a high pitch (tips in the grommets). For a low pitch I used the tried and true piece-of-duct-tape-around-the-pole-shaft method. Worked great as well.

FWIW, also found out they work well with the Tarptent Notch, thought not as easily as an adjustable pole. Just use the BDs handle up and angle them until you get the right height. Push the tip in the ground and they aren't going anywhere :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools