Topic

Mission Impossible? Easyish, quiet, scenic one night (Saturday night) backpacking trip in SF Bay Area for June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mission Impossible? Easyish, quiet, scenic one night (Saturday night) backpacking trip in SF Bay Area for June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'd like to introduce a friend to backpacking by means of a simple, one-night trip within 1-2 hours of San Jose. I'm a little stumped. Henry Coe (along with most east bay options) is too hot and dry. Point Reyes and Big Basin are fully booked.

Any other quiet, off-the-radar options anyone can suggest?

Thanks everyone!

rhz

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

high rocks trail out of calistoga.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Ventana Wilderness. There are a few places within the Santa Cruz Mtns for backpacking too.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Ken,

Thanks. One possibility would be Vicente Flat in Ventana. Do you know of others that are similarly easy (no trails overgrown with poison oak, etc). As for the Santa Cruz mountains, I once stayed at Shaw Flat camp once–it was surprisingly crowded. We were lucky to get a place. Can you recommend others destinations (Butano? etc)

Thanks again,

rhz

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Portola is nice

http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/portola-qtvr-map.html

I have hiked from Vicente Flats to Pine Valley. You hike about a 1000 feet in elevation lose to get down there and then of course you have to hike out. There are some great campsites along the river. You can have fires there too. Just keep in mind that the road to Vicente Flat is quite rough….just drive slow and you'll be ok.

As for other places in Ventana, just google backpacking Ventana and you'll come up with many options. Also Castle Rock is available, but it is a short hike. Never too crowded neither.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Butano State Park, backcountry camp in the redwoods. No reservations.

Forest of Nisene Marks State Park, another backcountry camp in the redwoods. No reservations.

Pescadero Creek Park, two backcountry camps in the redwoods. No reservations.

— Rex

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

+1 for Pescadero Creek. Mostly easy hiking, (compared to Henry Coe), the price is right ($10 per night if I remember correctly), I think fires are permited in rings.
    I've had trouble with some very bold raccoons there, juas a heads up. Stop by Alice's for buger's afterword, you deserve it.
    -James

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Kirby Cove in Golden Gate National Recreation Area looks like a nice, easy one night camping trip in SF area (one mile hike in), particularly for a first-timer experience:

http://www.nps.gov/goga/planyourvisit/kirby.htm

Haven't been there, but plan to check it out next time in SF area.

Angel Island looks interesting, too, with a ferry ride to get there —

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d208341-Reviews-Angel_Island_State_Park-San_Francisco_California.html

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi,

So, this trip got pushed out until this coming weekend. My friend is very interested in Big Sur. Route 1 to Vicente Flats is short (5 mile) but may involve too much climbing (2K ft) for a newbie. Any other scenic (and not too crowded) ideas?

Thanks again!

rhz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools