Topic

Are you a (long) weekend warrior? Longer stints, gear list change much?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Are you a (long) weekend warrior? Longer stints, gear list change much?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Curious as to how long folks on the forum have been out there? And especially how their gear list changes/beefs up (for the same area they are hiking in and same season) for longer stints.

Myself, 3-4 day trips, at this point I'm a weekend warrior. I've been fortunate to hike in mostly nice weather. So as a SUL hiker it's been pretty easy. Up until a long weekend on the Long Train in VT, never had to test my gear much (got caught in a Nor'easter in summer gear) with adverse weather.

So for a ~7 day trip in the White Mountains coming up, I've made a few changes:

– Nylofume bag out, trash compactor liner in. (Maybe the nylofume bag would of remained waterproof, but I was stuffing it with a 15F bag on my last trip, so maybe I stressed it a bit too much.)

– Mini-bic out, firesteel in…well until I tried to light shavings off my fuel tablets with the firesteel and couldn't do it. Screw that, just going to bring two Mini-Bics and keep they dry.

– $ and credit card. Hate the weight, but in general it's prob a good idea, let alone for longer hikes when u may need resupply or get out of a jam.

– One ziplock for all toiletries, pills, firestarting stuff out….same zip lock bag for stuff, but adding small bottle for pills, they get crushed too easily otherwise for me and on longer hikes pills like Aleve may be more important.

So nothing major, not a ton more weight, but hopefully a little better prepared.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I'm another weekend warrior although I've done a couple of week-long trips. When I've packed for them I've tended to err on the side of caution. Like you, I threw in a second mini-Bic and a film canister of vaseline-cotton balls. I wanted to make sure I could start a fire if I had too. I also added a pair of dedicated tent-socks. I had two pairs that I wore on alternating days and one pair that I kept in my sleeping bag and wore only in the tent. Having dry feet at night helped my spirits. Other than that I took more of the consumables than normal, especially ibuprofen and hand sanitizer. The next time around I'm going bring a light trowel, I didn't like fussing around finding a suitable rock to dig with at the end of the trip. I think the additional 0.6oz of a Qiwiz trowel would be worth it.

Adam

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I am not an ULer by any stretch but I can speak to long trips. My longest backpacking trip was 23 days, and my longest w/o resupply was 22 days.

My current preference is to pull long 18-21 day trips with one food load at about 40-45 lbs—this is just the food. So, this is the main weight dilemma facing a backpacker—food weight. And the places I backpack do not have the easy opportunity of resupply—nor am I interested in leaving the woods to get food.

I follow Ray Jardine's policy on food weight—2.5 lbs per day. See link below and look on the Food topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultralight_backpacking

Beyond this, my gear list is not relevant here as most of it is too heavy for the UL crowd.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

W.r.t. this: "how their gear list changes/beefs up (for the same area they are hiking in and same season) for longer stints."

I add a pair of very light running shorts and light t-shirt to have something to wear when washing clothes. Backup batteries for headlamp. A second battery for my smartphone and the charging cord.

On a very long trip one might start to think about things like replacement pole tips, replacement shoes, any prescription meds, possibly renewing the DWR on rain shell, and certainly map/guidebook data. It depends on how long is "long".

The other thing that's helpful is a list of things to do at resupply points — seriously. Without a checklist I find it easy to forget something, like replenishing TP, stove fuel if I'm cooking, etc.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have settled on backpacking trips anywhere from 6 to 7 days. I think with the logistics of scheduling, trip planning, permitting, driving, etc. trips of about a week are the most efficient use of my time and resources at this point in my life. It also lets me really get into a much better mindset. Anything shorter becomes a diminishing return for me. Anything longer becomes an issue for family and work commitments. This year I am definitely doing 3 such trips, two in my home State of Washington, and one in Colorado. Due to family and work I will also space them out with one in July, one in August and one in September. If I am lucky and my schedule cooperates, I might try and sneak in a 4th trip.

When I do take shorter trips, which is rare, my gear list doesn't change much. I just cinch my pack down and enjoy carrying less food.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Brian Lewis—
    Your post brings to mind what I forgot:
    ** A second battery for my cellphone.
    ** Several extra batts for my camera—up to 5 for a long winter trip.
    ** Spare pack hipbelt buckle.
    ** Spare single tent pole with some spare shock cord.
    ** Always 2 spoons and 2 Bics—spoons break(even the Sea to Summit metal spoons), and Bics can drain in a ditty bag if the button is depressed. The second Bic is a mini and inside a protection case (an empty McNett's field repair tube—works great for a Bic).
    ** Expedition repair kit for MSR stove.

EMERGENCY CACHE
    I forgot about this one but at drop off I always hike in a ways with an emergency cache and hide it under a rock somewhere in the wilderness I am traveling thru. This wrapped cache consists of a spare Thermarest inflatable and sometimes a stove pump and sometimes a complete stove. A leaking sleeping pad in the winter can be bad and field repair can be negatory—hence I swing back for the pad.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

larger roll of TP

possibly rain pants depending on forecast

possibly Ipod touch for reading/podcasts at night

Since doing a few longer hikes last summer not much changes since I like my setup regardless of length.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Doing some 4 day trips, just more consumables, make sure there's enough Aqua Mira, and (one thing that's been overlooked) more trash bags for the inevitable wrappers and such. I'll take individual little tubs of margarine, cream cheese, or those single serve jams/peanut butter and need a way to secure it least my food bag or even pack get smeared with multiberry fruit concoction.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools