Topic

hyperlight mountain gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) hyperlight mountain gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I just bought a 8×10 tarp from hyper light mountain gear. I called to make sure that if I ordered it that it would be here before my trip next weekend. I had one question: Does this tarp need to be manufactured or is it ready to be sent out. he said it will go out today. When I recieved my confirmation. He also wrote the following:

Hi Josh,

Thank you very much for your order. Your tarp will be shipped today and will be delivered by 4:00pm on Friday.

I also wanted to apologize for the way I answered the phone when you called. I had just rounded up my production team around the phone for a meeting with our CEO, who is out of town…and both your and his call came in at the exact time. I just answered the phone expecting it to be him, was surprised that it wasn't and again wanted to apologize for the unprofessional way I answered your call.

Thanks again and have a great day,

I didnt even notice anything unprofessional and he answered my question but this email just shows that HMG cares about their customers and clear communication.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

+1.

I bought a Porter 4400 and it had a defect. They asked it be returned at their cost and they would ship another.

2nd pack had an issue, very minor, and they offered to allow me to go ahead and use it until they shipped out my replacement pack so I would not be inconvenienced. While I kept pack 2 until pack 3 arrived, I did not use it. They were so accommodating, I felt it unfair to soil a brand new pack.

Both the CFO and CEO are readily available, even when out of the office, to take calls and return them promptly. They epitomize the service we hope to get from specialized product industries.

So, a few weeks ago as I was shopping for a new tent, there service was no small factor in influencing my decision to buy a new Ultamid, even though it is untested by the market. I normally am not the first to buy. But I have confidence in these guys . . . and the tent looks dandy!

Derrick

Michael Geoghegan
    BPL Member

@gogetter

Locale: SoCal

I also ordered an 8X10 tarp last week from HMG based on the fact that it was in-stock and ready to ship. I spoke with both Mike and Dan as part of the process. It is my first flat tarp and they were both extremely helpful and accommodating.

Tarp arrived in good order and on time. Best of all, the one small feature I would have custom ordered had I had the time, just so happened to have been on the tarp! It had a bonus 21st point of attachment: a tie-out in the center along the ridge line. (16 Perimeter tie-outs, 4 tie-outs placed in the center one-third and two-thirds of the interior body and one final one dead center.)

Really pleased with my HMG purchase and experience.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

For sharing. Much appreciated.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

So great service and poor QC? Good to know I guess.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It's overpriced though.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Quality control is more than producing perfect products. Quality control also extends beyond the work shop to how you deal with a customer once it gets in their hands and has an issue.

All three of the packs I received were of superior quality in function, construction and materials to other packs in the same range of weight and carrying capacity! These are not homogeneous oversea factory products, they are more or less custom builds and more susceptible to variations.

Quality control is also an element of customer service. And if a pack is not exactly what you are expecting, and the company replaces it with no cost and minimal inconvenience, then they are controlling the quality of the products they put out there on the trails.

As for price. I realize its subjective. But its an open marketplace and I choose my gear carefully. Dollar for dollar, HMG, so far at least, has products that compete. For those that disagree, find me another pack that is waterproof, sub 2lbs and can carry 40 plus pounds comfortably and durably for the same price.

Derrick

Josh Brock

@needsabath

"So great service and poor QC? Good to know I guess."

Well cant comment on quality of the tarp yet but I will come back to this once i get it tomorrow and then again after using it for a couple days.

But aside from your unbacked statement I have not heard anything bad about that company…. Not to mention have you seen their gear testers/sponsored atheletes. Those guys put their gear through the wringer!!!! I wish I was half as badass as that Luc kid!

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

4 of their packs and no QC issues. Ah, to be a lucky one.

Maybe they give all the decent ones to their ambassadors:).

Seriously though it's the putting right that counts for me. Just look at the the SMD thread for an example of that. A Porter 4400 is still on my short list for a bigger pack – just not sure if the hip belt will work out for me. I am pretty scrawny to say the least and packs with the hip belt sewn on near the outer edges of the pack don't always work well for me. However, the attached hip belt straps may help with that.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Hey Jason,

I am not sure how small your waist is. I am 6'1 with a 32 inch waist. There is plenty of belting left to draw it in much tighter. Here are 2 pics, not great quality, but may give you an idea.

Porter 4400 waist belt on 32 inch waist

9" across back panel

This is my 4th pack and all the others were heavier packs with waist belts reputed to be good and they were, but none are as comfortable as my Porter. I was surprised that a belt with much less substance than what I was accustomed to, fit my body so well and supports the load very comfortably.

Derrick

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for the picture. It's more that I am narrow across the hips, so when the hip belt is attached to the outer of the pack there can be a gap between me and the pack where the hip belt and the pack meet. Hope that makes sense, as it's a bit difficult to explain in words only. I will probably do what I usually do with packs and just order one and try it out. Return post from NZ is expensive, but a good fit is vital.

Just seen your second picture, which is very helpful thanks. I will compare the measurements with some of my other packs. Cheers.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

HMG have been known to make customization to allow other belts to be used such as the ULA belts if you research the forum you may find pics.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

scree ride

@scree

Jason,
    For an extra 20, I had them add a removable hip belt. Here's a thread with some possibilities…
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68261

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I'm about to order a pack from HMG. Do you think the extra weight of the Porter is worth for increased comfort and load carrying capability? I will rarely (if ever) carry over 25 lbs, but I have a bad back and want good support. Also, is the Windrider as well padded on the lumbar area?

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

The 3400 series of packs all have the same padding from what I understand. Basically, the harness system is the same all across them, but the features differ.

The 2400 series is noticeably thinner. Though, I kind of like it. I think that with lighter loads it will be very nice (keep in mind I've only borrowed my wife's 2400 Southwest for some day hikes so far).

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Thanks everyone. Looking at Derrick's picture the distance between the two hip belt attachment points is actually pretty narrow. With the "float" Davey describes it should work well.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

"Well cant comment on quality of the tarp yet but I will come back to this once i get it tomorrow and then again after using it for a couple days."

How is it an unbacked statement given Derrick's experience?

I'm not saying anything that I haven't gleaned from your post as I have no experience with HMG myself. I think it's great that they do everything in their power to correct their mistakes, but a company with good QC (especially a fairly small company) should inspect the packs they send out to ensure that they are not faulty to begin with. Of course some will slip through but Derrick's story makes me suspect it's more than just bad luck. It's also bad for business to spend time and money making these faulty packs that they then have to eat.

Not saying anything bad about HMG packs in general, I have recommended them to many people based on people's posts about them here. I'm sure they are great when they are not faulty.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

"How is it an unbacked statement given Derrick's experience?"

Its unbacked because I wasn't told the story or supplied proof or even a link to said issue. The only thing that was said on this thread was that quality control was an issue. Saying that QC is an issue with out an example is what I'm talking about. Sorry I am unfamiliar with Derrick and his issue with HMG. But I had a good one so far and am now looking at the porter 4400 which I almost bought but decided I wanted the big tarp instead.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

scree ride

@scree

When we want it fast and cheap, quality control will always be an issue. There is nothing wrong with pointing it out, just don't act surprised. It is what we have to deal with for in exchange for the demands we make. We leave the manufacturers little choice. I read the reviews just and play the odds. I've wound up with some excellent equipment that way.
    "Out for delivery" waiting on my Porter 44 and 13 Fishing Omen rod. Feels like my birthday.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools