Topic

Exped Airmat Pumps Spotlite Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Exped Airmat Pumps Spotlite Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Companion forum thread to:

Exped Airmat Pumps Spotlite Review

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'm surprised you did not include the Expec Schozzel Pumpbag in this review! Works fast, super lightweight, excellent double use as sleeping bag drybag! I think it's the real winner in the Exped pump family.

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

+1 Schnozzel, light, effective and multi-use.

Dave

Victor Bushkov
    BPL Member

@victor_b

I just use trash bag instead of a pump.

marvin barg
    BPL Member

@grampa_kilt

Locale: British Columbia

Whomever makes an adapter for use with screw type inlets will get really rich…well probably not, but will have the abiding appreciation of many users. Grampa Kilt

John VISSER
    BPL Member

@visserj

I bought a white PVC fitting from the hardware store and attached a piece of clear plastic hose that will fit over the valve of my Big Agnes air mat.

Anthony Huhn
    BPL Member

@anthonyjhuhn

Locale: Mid West
    Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I, too, would like to have seen Roger [edited later, sorry about the mixed up identity!] include the Exped Schnozzle (sold with the Exped UL7 Downmat or can be purchased separately for other Exped pads) in his review. I believe it has been around for at least 2 years now. I understand that it works as a pack liner, too.

I have the BA pump sack [mentioned by Anthony] and found that it is useless for anything except blowing up an air pad or to use as a non-waterproof (and therefore useless, IMHO) stuff sack. It is most definitely not waterproof! I suppose you could use it as a leaky shower, but a wet bag is not what you want for pumping up an insulated air pad. It doesn't hold air, either, so is useless as a pillow (its other advertised purpose). Like Victor, I also use a plastic trash bag to pump up my insulated air pad.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I love the Snozzle, it makes a fine pacliner and pillow.

William Coulam

@bcoulam

Locale: Northern Utah Rockies

Another vote for the Schnozzel. Just got one a few weeks back to go with my UL7. It's wonderful. 1.4 oz and doubles as a waterproof stuff sack for the new zPacks down bag. I just lift it up and help it "gulp" air, fold over the top and it's now one giant lung. Doing this well twice fills my pad. Not so well, it takes two and half fills of the bag. Love that I'm no longer blowing in the warm, moist air of my own lungs.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

i've never seen or heard of anyone using the mini pump. A few like the pillow. As you can tell by the comments that the Schnozzel is the crowd favorite.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

Yes, the Schnozzel is dope! I mainline the Schnozzel. When not pumping, it keeps stuff dry and sorted in the pack, the kind of stuff that comes out when making camp.

However, as a pillow it fails me. Maybe my head is too dense.

EDITED: to correct spelling of Schnozzel. The other spelling has nothing to do with pump bags but everything to do with schnozzes. Being a pedant is a great burden sometimes.

Marc Kokosky
    BPL Member

@mak52580

Locale: Washington, DC Area

I also can't believe there's no mention about the Schnozzel. Generally these reviews are very informative and spot on in their coverage of products. However, this review is an epic failure since it makes no mention of the easiest and most popular and versatile of the Exped pumps. This review was a real letdown.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just so we are on the same page-

Roger Caffin wrote the review not Will. Not that it matters but I think Roger should get the credit for writing it.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Will the Schnozzle work on other mats? I have a couple of Kooka Bay pads.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Exped makes a bag called the Schnozzle which to my understanding works great to not only fill up the mattress but also as a pack liner. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

(dang it it was a joke stop throwing stuff at me!)

I just purchased the REI Flash air pad. The valves look suspiciously like the ones on the Exped mattress. The REI associate wasn't sure but he believed that REI has a contract with Exped to make this pad.

Anywho I'm ordering a schnozzle to see if it will work. BTW this pad weighs a fraction of an oz more than one pound on my scale with the stuff sack, uses primaloft, has an R value of 3.2 and is $55 cheaper than the Synmat UL 7.

http://www.rei.com/product/845300/rei-flash-insulated-air-sleeping-pad

Jay Johnson

@itsjaywhatsupgmail-com

I'm a huge fan of the instaflators. It's not so much a foot pump, but 2 breaths gets my memo astro insulated filled up with minimal effort. Really light weight too. It could be used as a water holder in an emergency for a multiple-use option.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=39155

Mark Freakley

@freakley

Another vote for the Schnozzel here. Works very well with the UL synmat.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

SCHNOZZLE!!!!!

Not the least of which because the name is really cool.

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Used my Synmat recently to sleep on the cold hospital floor after the birth of my son. The nurses were very impressed with the system, especially the Schnozzel pumpbag. I also use six or so inflated ziploc bags inside the pumpbag as a pillow.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Congratulations on the birth of your son Daniel!

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Thanks, I'm so stoked! He's got the biggest feet I've ever seen on a baby. Can't wait to put him in the baby-bjorn and go on some hikes next fall.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Sorry – I always have to be a skeptic

Does water accumulate in an air matt that you blow by mouth?

I've been weighing my Thermarest Prolite for more than a year, maybe 50 cycles of blowing it up, and there is no increase in weight. 16.2 to 16.3 ounces with no trend.

Of course that's self inflating so I only put about two breaths into it. And any water vapor probably gets removed when it's compressed. Non self inflating mattress could be different.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

yes

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Josh, could you be a little more succinct with your answer. You gave way too much unnecessary information.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools