Topic

Lightest Sunblock container? SEEMS crazy, but it all adds up, right??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lightest Sunblock container? SEEMS crazy, but it all adds up, right??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I was attempting to lighten my load for this trip & I came across several items I was going to get rid of & a few that needed to lightened.

Sunblock I have is pretty small, but I figure there is lighter ones out there. Anyone have a line on a super small container of sunblock?

I was considering just taking some sunblock out of the container & storing it in a zip lock. Anyone done that? Similar to my tooth past packs in plastic food wrap. I'm going to try that IF all else fails!

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I do not carry sunblock. It's greasy when I'm already greasy out on the trail, weighs a lot and I have to keep reapply.

So… in the NE I wear a wide brimmed Sun Day Afternoons hat and then long sleeve shirt and pants. THey keep bugs away for the most part as well.

GL.

kevin campbell
    BPL Member

@rockymtbiker

Locale: Michigan

I got the hat too & long sleeved shirts, airdry I think they call them, very cool. But, still gots to have the sunblock!

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I take a 20ml dropper bottle , with the tip removed (~3/8" opening) out it weighs about 0.7 oz pretty full of sunscreen. Just enough for tips of nose, ears, neck kind of areas IF needed.

I rarely use it at all, and only take it where no tree cover.

I hate sunscreen.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Try one of these, available at REI and probably most gear stores:

http://www.rei.com/product/605890/polyethylene-container-1-fl-oz

With sun protective clothing, you shouldn't need more than an ounce of sunblock. With these, you can buy a large tube of sunblock and replenish the small container as you need.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use a zinc oxide stick. Not greasy. Can repackage in a small balm jar. Could work in a ziploc. That could be bad if it leaked though. Not as bad as regular sunscreen. I just keep it in the tube it comes in. About an oz. As a consumable it does get lighter every trip.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use a black film canister.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools