Topic

dried eggs or freeze dried? Need some advice for a good choice/flavor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition dried eggs or freeze dried? Need some advice for a good choice/flavor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

It's been awhile since I have used powdered eggs since REI discontinued their powdered eggs. The taste was ok but I am looking for a more flavorful option. Need some advice on where to get them, what brands are good, any powdered version taste ok or go freeze dried?
    I know I can go Mountain House Eggs/Bacon for $32/can but that's as far as my research went before I decided I need to consult my fellow like-minded hiker for some advice. Thanks gang.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

Ova Easy eggs taste more like fresh eggs than some others. http://www.nutriom.com/ I use Honeyville dried eggs for items I bake, and for places where the egg flavor is not obvious since they are (or were) less expensive.
    Jim

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Mtn House freeze-dried scrambled eggs – with or without peppers and ham – are God-awful. Buy a single package and see what I mean.

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Thanks Bob
    I'll just take your word for it! Update- found the Ova Easy @ REI- might be my best way to go when I combine it with other gear and get free shipping.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

+1 on OvaEasy

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Another option is to go with Mountain House's Breakfast Skillet meal–the usual MH FD eggs, with FD potatoes, sausage, peppers, and onions. Not too bad, and a few more calories than just eggs.

But Ova Easy is the real deal–in your UL fry pan slathered in olive oil, add Harmony House diced potatoes, Packit Gourmet FD tomato chunks, some FD sausage crumbles or Hormel bacon bits, maybe some FD cheese, and you've got a killer omelet. Add 4 strips of warmed up Hormel shelf stable bacon, and she'll ask you to marry her all over again. Well, maybe if you throw in a toasted buttered bagel or muffin, and a mixed fruit cup?

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Thanks Gary for the menu idea! yeah, that'd be much better than just some eggs in a wrap!

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I recently had a chance to eat powdered eggs from Honeyville and they were not too bad.

I also had some Rancher's Cut freeze dried scrambled eggs recently and really like them especially with some freeze dried cheese and freeze dried mushrooms. All three were also from Honeyville.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

One of the very good things about Honeyville is their periodic sales which go up to 20% off on everything. Their bulk packaging in cans works well because the lids seal firmly after opening the can, thus protecting the food well until it is used. Their dairy and eggs items make it much easier to cook and bake "real" foods in the backcountry. I have also found their freeze dried and dehydrated vegetables and fruits to be very high quality, with none of the off processing taste found in some other products.
    Jim

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools