Topic

Non-Cuben internal frame backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Non-Cuben internal frame backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'm looking for a 40 to 60 liter (I'm flexible here) internal frame pack that uses fabric, not Cuben laminate material.
    Ex. If I got one I would choose an Oeprey EXOS 58 in size Large.

-> I carry anywhere from 20 to 32 lbs, depending on length of trip.

-> Dyneema or whatever is even better is fine. Perhaps Dyneema on the bottom for abrasion resistance.

-> I'd like a suspended back netting for breathability but mesh covered foam is OK. A GOOD hipbelt is important to me.

-> Also getting the weight close to 2 lbs. would be nice.

-> mesh lower side pouches are (to me) as useless as tits on a boar. I use approx 1 L. size aftermarket zippered side pockets – always.

(I posted a similar question in the GEAR section but thought maybe I'd get some "lighter" answers here in SUL.)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do you mean 40-60 liters? Otherwise a stuff sack should suffice.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yep, I meant 40 to 60 liters. For some reason I often don't hit the 0 key hard enough. My typo.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I am pretty happy with my REI Flash 45 so far. It is light, cheap, and comfortable.

When I am not carrying a bear canister or much food I also like the Flash 30.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You can pick your materials including body, bottle and back pockets,under 2 lbs size large here and a review here and here .In the last review by Sgt. Rock he says that the stays are optional and sold separately,that has changed and it comes with the stays.

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

Exped lightning 45/60? hip belt is great! I guess technically could be considered external frame, but feels no different to me than internal…I like mine and fits a BV500 horizontally no problem! On sale at camp saver right now, order and try around the house, don't like it return it.

David Ure

@familyguy

I sure like that pack!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

On sale at Backcountryedge.com too.

35oz though

Well I saw it was in the SUL threads so I thought 35oz sounded heavy but I see you say "around 2lbs" so I guess 35 is OK

David Ure

@familyguy

Nice. I think the 45 is right at 2 lbs….I think.

Keith F

@hamerica

Locale: Northern Virginia

Great pack, I love my 60.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Technically an external frame.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I used to love my external frame pack.

I'd be curious to see how this pack stacks up against the HMG Porter.
    both are about the same weight which one has the better suspension
    and puts the weight on the hips.
    For a long trip without resupply or if you have to carry a lot of water it might
    be useful.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools