Topic

Solar charger

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solar charger

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Someone gave me a Freeloader solar charger:
    http://www.freeloadersolar.com/shop/freeloader-pro.htm
    Didn't see much use for it for a time. But, I started to think about an upcoming trip on the SHR where I want to have a GPS for back-up navigation. Plus, I need to carry my iPhone for use before and after the hike. My watch-style GPS weighs 4oz with 1 extra set of batteries, but if I want to use it a lot I'll need more batteries = more weight. The Freeloader weighs 6.4oz. I could ditch the GPS and bring the Freeloader + iPhone with MotionX GPS software and free map downloads. I can easily upload my SHR waypoints to the iPhone, which provides much more detailed navigation info (maps!) than my GPS.

Anyway, I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has done similar. Can you get enough juice to keep the iPhone charged with moderate navigation use? Freeloader battery is 1600mA-hr. I do not plan to use the iPhone for any other purpose while hiking. Also,
    I know – turn off all the cell service stuff, wifi, etc. The Freeloader doesn't have any obvious way to mount it on a backpack. Has anyone made a holder/mount for this
    device? Other thoughts about using this or similar devices for backpacking?

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools