Topic

Emigrant Wilderness Trip.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Emigrant Wilderness Trip.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Last weekend I took a trip to the Emigrant wilderness with 3 other people.
    It was HOT. It almost got 100 and there was very little shade in some places. The nights were too warm and I overpacked in warm clothing.
    The mosquitoes were very bad.
    Click on the photos to make them bigger.

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Emigrant looks very pretty and the snow seems to have all but completely melted away. Too bad about the mosquitoes though.

I'll be making a trip into the Emigrant myself in about 2 weeks or so. Last year I ran into lots of mosquitoes and biting flies. I'll probably plan a higher altitude trip this year – hopefully the insects won't be as bad at elevation.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Mosquito Hell… seems no matter what time of year… even in mid September one year…

g

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

A truly awful place. Best to keep moving south and enjoy mosquito free Yosemite.

Thanks for sharing the pics Justin.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice. Looks like Camp Lake? Where were those granite cascades?

June/July in Emigrant can be brutal. Worst mosquitoes I've ever experienced were at Groundhog Meadow in mid-June. Emigrant is best enjoyed in the early spring and late fall.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yeah, the first night was Camp Lake.
    I think those granite cascades were at Cherry Creek. We camped at the base of Louse Canyon near the confluence of a couple creeks. We explored up one of them. There were a few large waterfalls and deep pools farther up.
    We planned on day hiking up to Rocasso Lake but we saw a thunderstorm move in and we turned back to camp. We would have camped up at Pingree Lake but the hike out would have taken too long for a Sunday.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Everywhere we walked was real swampy. And many of the lakes looked very scummy and stagnant. It was a paradise for mosquitoes.
    During the heat of the day we swam around and sat in the exposed sunlight. It was hot enough that the mosquitoes retreated to the shade.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country
    Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Nice. We were out there about 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. Still lots of snow above 8K, which meant no skeeters. The lower elevation meadows were a real bitch though. The mosquitoes were unforgiving.

Deer lake was still half frozen slush.

deer lake

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools