Topic

Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Kim Fera
    BPL Member

@kimchi

Locale: Gatineau Park, Chelsea, Quebec

From one solo-woman-hiker to another, definitely go! I did my first multi-day solo trip a few weeks ago, and while I was skittish at the start, I really enjoyed it (did a section of the Northville-Placid Trail). My nervous tension made for good mileage on the first day… I thought I might be nervous at night, so I brought a cellphone loaded up with music/podcasts to listen to when snuggled in my tent (also a Stratospire1!). I ended up having a great hike (married with three kids, so it was a LOT of quiet time compared to normal life).
    Cheers,
    Kim

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

Hi Jennifer,

I solo quite a bit and it is a unique experience, one which I cherish and look forward to. It may or may not give you what you are seeking in hiking. We all search for different things. Of course you have to try it at least once in your life just to learn about the experience and yourself..

If it is pleasurable you will go back, if not, you don't have to do it again. But either way you will have done it!

Derrick

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Go, you'll be glad. This sounds like the perfect scenario.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You and Charlie dog have fun! I've backpacked solo with dog for years. This year, I'm faced with true solo trips–no more dog. I'll have tp tale extra socks to keep my feet warm1

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Are ya gonna do it? Huh? Are ya? Are ya? Are ya? ;)

David Ure

@familyguy

She left two days ago….

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I just hope she "setup a trip wire alarm with tooth floss string and a bell on her camp perimeter."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Aroooooooooooo

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

You guys crack me up.

The car is rented, the dog's food is packed in his pack, and I've told a friend my plan.

I leave Friday at 2, 2 nights on the trail with the CharlieDog (who has a mean growl, by the way), have NO idea how to set up my new stratospire (still in the bag…and it's hailing outside right now), and I couldn't be more excited.

So if you guys don't hear from me by Monday………..

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"So if you guys don't hear from me by Monday……….."

Don't count on me for anything! I'm used to not hearing from women, I wouldn't think anything was wrong…..

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the laugh Doug!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

He's serious.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

That a girl Jen. Could you PM me with where you are going, just in case something would happen. I mean after all you got all that new gear, somebody should find a new home for it and for Chuck. Is Therapy dogs where I should take him to help him get over what he saw happen to his master? Will he ever backpack again? Is your will up to date? I always wanted to meet your dad I've heard so much about him on here, to bad to have to meet under such bad circumstances. Well at least it meant that they found enough of you to have a funeral. By the way that's a pay back for asking for my tarp he he he

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Dibs on the Circuit.

And just remember, if you don't wake up screaming…. you won't wake up at all.

(One two Freddy is coming for you. Three four better lock the Hexamid.)

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

I could create a BPL will…

And seriously everyone…thanks for the encouragement! I've been reading all of the threads about why people are afraid to go alone, the creepy sounds at night, etc. But I have wanted to do this literally for years, I spend maybe 30-40 nights a year in the woods, my dog is a wonderful watchdog and has an uber mean growl when he wants, he's the perfect trail dog and absolutely will at least be a barrier between me and the things that go bump outside my tent.

But as some of you have intimated, as a woman I'm a bit more nervous about crazy meth heads in pick up trucks (no offense to any meth heads in pick up trucks here on BPL of course…) who have access to our rather accessible trails here in the Midwest. For that I think chuck would be a great help….

And I could always carry bear spray for that, too ;)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Please note I edited my last post

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Well…after all of that…I'm sick this weekend.

I was hoping it would go away yesterday while at work, but alas, no. It worsened. So I'm not one to question the universe; apparently despite all the other evidence to the contrary, this was not a good weekend to go.

Thanks again for the push…I do feel like I'm mentally ready now…just need a better weekend.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Well…after all of that…I'm sick this weekend. "

I told you to close your eyes……

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Note to self: Email photos of Doug on Monday, not towards the end of the week. Sorry Jen!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There is nothing better than solo hiking. I could proably come up with a bunch of pithy quotes, but walking at your own pace as well as sleeping and eating are wonderful. The dog is a good idea and let's you talk out loud without feeling like the crazy lady :)

If you're worried about security, a big ol' can of bear spray should do the trick.

Hope you're feeling better and back on the trail soon.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Solo trips are the best since you set your own pace. I'll go on various group trips but if feeling sick/pukey that day (or whatever), you still need to keep up with the group.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I have only done a couple solo trips. Last night, with just a few hours of light left I packed up and walked out my back door and started hiking out my backyard. My "driveway" is where the trail starts , a trail that connects to hundreds of miles of trails, through private and public land, including Big Basin and Castle Rock State Parks.
    I hiked about 6 miles, mostly uphill. I saw mountain lion tracks, a bobcat, heard deer, chased off a pesky raccoon.
    I set up my hammock between two gigantic fir trees on a very steep hillside. I used three big stumps to hop on, set up and cook. The trees were charred and a lot my gear got sooty. I warmed up a delicious stew I made the night before. I ate in while hanging and watching the sunset. I used my trekking pole to push me off and swing a bit every once in a while and that's how I fell asleep, absolutely comfortable and warm and tired and worn out as usual. No need for any aid or entertainment.
    I did not bring breakfast nor coffee; just hiked back in the morning where the coffee was still hot and so was the shower!! :)

Edited to add the obvious…that I did not bring my camera either.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I wanna be Kat when I grow up.

While one of the shortest, that has to be one of the best trip reports I've read!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

That's the way to do it Kat.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools