Topic

Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Maybe my first solo trip this weekend??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I need some moral support!! A group of us were supposed to do a nice weekend hike this weekend, but now it seems to be rescheduled for next weekend. I've already taken Friday afternoon off, I have my new stratospire 1 in hand…

I'm thinking of an easy 21 mile hike that I've done countless times. It's familiar, relatively easy, somewhat crowded but not too much yet…

I've never camped alone. I've traveled alone numerous times, stayed in hotels alone, hell, I live alone. I've always been nervous for all the same, irrational reasons many of us are. CharlieDog will go with me.

Well…should I??????????

John Hillyer
    BPL Member

@trnamelucky

You absolutely positively should go. Have a great time!!!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Go. Your dog is with you=not alone. You're ready.

Jeff Sims
    BPL Member

@jeffreytsims

Locale: So. Cal

What a great opportunity to go out in an area that you know and are comfortable in, while still pushing your personal boundaries a little.

I say go , and have a ton of fun!!!

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Jennifer,

just the fact that you threw this question out here shows in my opinion that you would like to do it. So go for it! Most of the time I prefer the company of my wife, our kids or good friends, but from time to time I enjoy a solo hike. It opens up new ways to hike – you have the ultimate flexibility to decide when to get up, when to hike, where to camp, when to take a break, etc. Solo hikes have their own beauty. Try it out and discover whether you enjoy it.

Manfred

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

If you don't go, YOU'LL BE SORRY. You'll think: I chickened out…. You might find out that you really LIKE it. I mostly prefer to go with my husband, but I usually go a couple of times a year on my own, and really enjoy that. Sometimes my dog gets to come, sometimes not.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Doug and his dog will fly into O'Hare and scoop you and your pooch up. PM him! No need for your dog to not have some canine company. And Doug isn't like that weird Brit video thing. He's a sensitive man of the new century, and he has 3 bikes!

But really, just go and do a solo thing, Jennifer. I expect it's a bit hard for a woman to think about doing that for the first time, but what a satisfying thing it is to do. You and your dog will both love it.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You should go! There's always some anxiety getting out the door on solo trips but I am always really glad I went by the time I get to the trailhead.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think a solo trip is a good time to add a few ounces back in with an audio book or long playlist or an actual book (no Tolstoy; this IS still BPL). Maybe not necessary if you are already used to the trail or are hiking big miles like on a thru hike, but at least for the first night of a trip.
    For me, one occasional downside to going solo is feeling a little bored or lonely (having trouble deciding on the right word here) if I stop too early. Often the solitude is just what the doctor ordered, especially with a great view or interesting campsite, but it can have you spinning your mental wheels, too. Last year, I was on an overnighter in Mt. Rainier NP and the campsite I choose (based solely on distance from the TH) was in a deep forested valley. There wasn't anybody else there, it started raining and there wasn't anything to do or see once camp was set up and I explored the immediate surroundings. Having a little comfort or distraction is nice, even at the expense of weight or phone battery life. A little shot of whiskey would have gone a long way that night, too, but alas, I had none.

Don't forget to leave an itinerary (trails, vehicle info, where you are parking, etc) with someone.

Go for it, have fun and test out the shorts/wind pants/tights combo for the JMT!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Do it!
    Plan a trip where you are hiking/exploring all day. When it gets dark you can just fall asleep.
    And you can share the experience with your dog.

Never do a solo trip in winter. It's terribly boring to have several hours of darkness to yourself in the evening.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Absolutely. You could bring a book as a mental distraction.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Why on earth wouldn't you?

David Ure

@familyguy

Why on Earth are you asking complete strangers anonymously on a backpacking forum?

Morally speaking, of course.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Instead of asking us, you should be asking CharlieDog. He may not want to go backpacking with JUST you, have you thought about that?

As an aside – pooches are amazing, aren't they! I tried sleeping like my pup in my avatar, woke up with a wicked leg cramp! On the bright side, my toenails were all 'clipped' in the morning…..

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I say do it. It sucks to be at the mercy of other people's schedules. This will free you, and also allow you to experience it in a different way. Just you, Charliedog and nature.

I have plans to do my own first solo this year, myself (with my dog, Mila). My DH isn't so cool with that idea, but I get tired of not having people to go with and therefore not going.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

It took me the better part of 10 years to get all of the acronyms correct in the Army and I feel like I'm starting all over again.

DH=

dear husband
    designated hitter
    dead head
    ?

From another thread, apparently Kat is DLF which I can only assume is

Dedicated Lifer on Forum?

They really need to offer a class on "How to be hip" in the local community college so I can try to keep up.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Too funny. I was wondering the same thing. But that's where the Urban Dictionary comes in handy.

DH – dearest or darling husband (though I'd a thought it would be damn husband)

DLF – I'm assuming dear little friend, because the other two entries aren't all that nice…..

Maybe we can have an Urban Dictionary word of the day! Today's is Pringlelingus!

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

I thought DLF was Down Low and Funky

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

HA!
    Keep guessing :)

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"HA!
    Keep guessing :)"

Ok so this is becoming BPL's equivalent of Carly Simon's "You're so vain" mystery.

I propose the following: upon purchasing a Kat Hat and signing a gag order, she will send the customer the meaning of DLF.

For now, I will understand DLF to mean Datsun Lowrider Fan-club… Dairy Lactose Free… Dang Lazy Farmer…. (John) Denver Loony Fan…. Dartmouth Lawndarts Fundraiser…

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Go! Hiking solo will eventually spoil you. I mostly hike alone and love it! Evenings, there are usually people around to share company; if not, I bring a book. Well, kindle.
    Seriously, it's a great way to experience the outdoors. A different experience than going with a group. Better!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

@Ian- sorry, I used DH as "dear husband" in this instance (although it could be "damned husband" under some circumstances, haha)

Scott Musack
    Spectator

@scottm

Locale: Oregon

This is my first post here and I say go! You won't regret it :)

doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

Don't do it, all the spooky noises and stuff. You'll be up all night wondering if there is a werewolf or something right outside your tent. Cuban isn't much protection against those type of things.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Solo backpacking? Maybe the question should be—After a 3 week trip should I even bother to return home? Yes or No?

For boredom, bring a small radio (Sangean DT-180) or a couple used paperbacks and burn them as your trip progresses. Does anyone remember what a pocket book is?

Justin Baker writes "Never do a solo trip in winter", but this is an inflammatory comment and radically incorrect. Several more hours of "non-hiking conditions"(darkness) is no big deal. Is camping really all that bad?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools