Topic

charging camera batteries via USB

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography charging camera batteries via USB

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I have a Canon Powershot SX260 HS–really, really like it, seems to be a good compromise between weight and function. Please note I am not a true camera geek, just like to be able to take decent photos on the fly. The telephoto capability on this camera far outshines the previous point-and-shoot I had before.

My only gripe about it is that it takes rechargeable Li batteries, that require a specific charger. Every other piece of electronica I may take hiking or traveling I can recharge with my portable battery pack that recharges via USB connection. Is there a camera battery charger that will plug into USB or micro-USB, making this battery also chargeable that way? I haven't had the need yet, it's more the concept that I could if I needed to. Everything else charges via USB, why haven't the camera companies followed suit?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Diane,

I just got the Sony RX100, which does not come with a battery charger and charges batteries via USB.

Sounds convient, but I think that the charging time would be slower vs. a plug in unit, which I bought for my batteries.

I might be wrong, maybe others can chime in.

The other down side of USB charging in camera is it is not possible to charge a battery while using a battery in the camera.

Anyway, my thoughts are it is nice if they build in the option for charging via USB, but I still would prefer a seperate charger.

-Tony

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Hey, Tony, maybe I didn't describe clearly what I'm looking for. I get that I'm going to have to purchase a separate charger, outside the camera. What I really wanted was a charger that could charge the battery either by plugging into the wall, or via a separate battery pack via USB, mini USB, or micro USB. I can plug my cell phone, Kindle, iPod, or headlamp battery pack into this battery pack and charge them, but I can't charge my camera battery that way. I don't typically take really long trips, but I have been saved from my own forgetfulness by carrying a separate battery pack and charging devices on-route so to speak. It would be nice to have this same capacity with my camera as well.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

That's going to be tricky. USB power supplies output a max of 5.4v which I gather is pretty low, probably not appropriate for camera batteries.

I'm not an electricity guy so I'd be intrigued to know if I'm right about this.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Diane,

Okay, I get what you are talking about.

Would be intriguing, but in terms of having a separate battery pack to charge the battery….that might be the same size as carrying a 2nd battery.

I do think that the biggest issue with charging via USB is the power that can run through the USB is a lot less than the wall = slower.

Still, the convience of the OPTION to charge the way you want would be nice.

Tony

Michael Driscoll
    BPL Member

@hillhikerz

Locale: Monterey Bay

Diane, a very good ? and one I have been grappling with as of late as I just picked up an LX7 and while I should have 330 shots depending on settings I am getting 200+ or so… So I am back to the old days with a 35mm and thinking just how many rolls of film I want to carry… my decision 3 batteries at least 600 shots and if really cold a bit to a lot less… Batteries are light & small compared to other solutions cost is OK with 3rd party… I am looking into recharging the batteries with a 12v solar panel that I have but it is to much stuff to hike with unless I am with others who are also in the same boat so I only use it while on a long term car camp… one other place to look is… Solar battery charging for long tours by
    < http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/OffTheGrid > a very good discussion of this very thing…

I looked up your camera and it would be good to test it with GPS on and off to get an idea just how many shots you have…

From DPREVIEW "Canon uses the NB-6L lithium-ion battery for power. This battery, used on a number of other PowerShots, packs 3.5 Wh of energy, which is on the lower end of the spectrum. Here's how that translates into battery life:
    Camera Battery life
    (CIPA standard) Battery used
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS * 230 shots NB-6L
    * Built-in GPS
    Battery life numbers are provided by the manufacturer

The good news here is that the SX260's battery life is about 10% higher than its predecessor. The bad news is that it's still a bit below the group average. Picking up a spare battery is a good idea, especially if you're using the power hungry GPS (which is not part of the above battery life calculations)."

I love the zoom your camera has and would like to play with the GPS but found I needed the low light end more so made the choice I did, good luck in you search…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> USB power supplies output a max of 5.4v

Doesn't matter. Small switch-mode convertor between the USB cable and the battery. Any output voltage you want.

However, the USB port can only supply 0.5 Amp at 5 V. It will be slower.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My Canon SD1200is has a 3.7v LI battery. It CANNOT be recharged via the camera. It can be recharged via a separate USB charger. Of course a 110v charger works better.

My Sony RX100 has a 3.6v LI battery. It CAN be recharged via the camera. It can be recharged via a separate USB charger. Of course a 110v charger works better.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-Multi-Purpose-Universal-Battery-T-Mobile/dp/B004B8CAT6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Cheap and cheaply made. WORKS! USB input AND output. Pretty much does all my little gadgets and flat batteries from any power source.

Looks like Amazon is out of stock.

Check out the photos on Amazon…they are helpful.

This may be the replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/EC-TECHNOLOGY®-Multi-Purpose-ThunderBolt-Blackberry/dp/B007WAU40M/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I can not figure out whether it does USB input! From the description, I think it must but it does not outright specify it!

$7.99

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Has anyone tried this:

http://www.lenmar.com/web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPUCLIP

I looked at it a little while back but I have not purchased it yet.

Graham Morfitt

@moeisme

Locale: Canada's west coast

My work is providing solutions to issues like the one you are presenting, so thanks for posting it :-)
    To confirm, your camera uses the NB-6L, 3.7V/1200mAHr battery.
    Below are links to two products that will do what you are asking: Plug into a USB source and charge your camera battery.

Lithium batteries are all multiples of 3.6V or 3.7V depending on the lithium chemistry, so your particular camera battery is essentially similar to an iPod battery, and can be charged from USB. All you need is a charger unit that will connect the battery to a USB port (and also cut the 5V USB down a bit to what the 3.6/3.7V batteries like to charge from).

Universal USB charger for 3.6/3.7V lithium camera/phone/GPS batteries…
    http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/universal-chargers/1212-lenmar-universal-usb-clip.html

Universal USB/12V/AC charger for 3.6/3.7/7.2/7.4V lithium batteries…
    http://www.modernoutpost.com/shop/battery-chargers/268-3-way-universal-charger.html

The universal clip charger is also available at places like Radio Shack (The Source in Canada).
    Both of these work great, and are safe for your batteries. All the smarts for charge control are included inside the battery itself. All the charger base needs to do is provide a voltage in the acceptable range (4.2V for charging a 3.7V pack). I find it amazing that Canon is asking the prices they do for a simple voltage converter (that will only work at home).

Lastly, a note about the 7.2/7.4V charging from USB. The charger above is one of the only ones I've seen that can transform the USB 5V up to the 8V range for charging the larger dSLR-type batteries. It works, but it is slow in this situations. Nice back-up solution, but I would recommend a 12V system over USB if you are packing a dSLR.

Hope this helps!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Graham

> My work is providing solutions to issues like the one you are presenting,
    In that case, you have to earn your keep here. :-)

Can you tell us what the terminals on the end of a Canon battery are? You need two for power of course, but they have way more than that.

A similar Q for mobile phone batteries: they usually have more than 2 terminals too.

Disclosure: I have a stack of batteries left over from a dead G11 camera (NB-7L I think) which could be used to recharge the battery for my G15 (NB-10L). No problems making up the SMPS to drive it, but what are all those connections???

Cheers

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Yay, I knew the answer had to be out there, but was getting all sorts of useless garbage in my searches. Several of those options look quite intriguing, as I already have a separate battery pack to charge with, I just needed some sort of adapter to connect the battery to the charger.

I have a birthday coming up, and a techie father, so if I put something on my wish-list, it'll probably appear!

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Any updates for 2014? This thread, I'd like to see resurrected for 2014 technology improvements.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Can you tell us what the terminals on the end of a Canon battery are? You need two for power of course, but they have way more than that."

Most Canon batteries that I have will show four contacts. Two are the obvious power output points. Then the extra two may or may not be hooked up, depending on the actual brand and model. Ten years ago, the extra two seemed to be voltage sense points. You can get better voltage measurement if you are not "reading" the voltage through the contacts where the current is flowing. Now in some of my newest batteries, they seem to carry the data of the registry number code that is inside the battery so that the camera can "read" the identity of the battery. Many generic batteries have no code inside, so the camera can't "see" it, so the camera will still draw power from it, but not much else.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Two contacts are for the battery. One contact is for a thermistor to sense the internal temperature while charging – stop it getting too hot. Not sure about the 4th one.

Cheers

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

The old PowerGen charger that was out of stock on Amazon in a previous post is back on, under the brand Anker. I own the PowerGen version and it's great – I don't know about the Anker one but it has good reviews.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools