Topic

Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Companion forum thread to:

Sierra Designs Assailant Tent REVIEW

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Fascinating review Will, I had high hopes for this one. I would love a winter solo tent that offers a little more legroom than my ID MK1. Ah well. Another one out. Funny how so much "4-season" gear isn't, really.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I had not thought about external pole junctions on single wall tents capturing snow but it makes perfect sense.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

It's a crime to have external poles for a 4 season singlewall tent and this review just makes that point obvious.

Besides providing less in the way of ledges for snow collection, internally mounted poles allow one to set up the tent from the inside (and take it down) in inclement weather. I betcha forces such as sudden wind gusts are better distributed with a sleeveless interior design over a greater area of the tent than with pole sleeves, as well.

I heart my internal pole Bibler and BD epic tents for Winter, general mtneering, and anywhere the wind blows hard and the snow falls deeply

and in many other conditions, too.

p.s. love the avatar, Greg

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Will,
    Thanks for the great review. Just looking at the pole design it is obvious that triangle of poles on the roof will collect snow like a bucket. What were they thinking? There are good reasons the two-pole tent dominates the market.
    Speaking of 2-pole tents, you mentioned a competitor for the Assailant, the BlackDiamond HiLight. I own one, and I must take exception to your statements about leaking and breathability. I spent a rainy night in one in temperatures hovering around freezing, and the epic fabric did not leak one drop. Condensation with two people in the tent was never more than a thin film of droppless moisture which could be felt with the bare hand. All other moisture vented out through the epic. In fact, eventually I zipped the vents closed to trap heat, and it still continued to vent. It is so air permeable in fact, I could feel wind coming through the fabric when the wind was really gusting.
    I do not think the paper thin epic fabric is durable enought to be called an expedition tent; but it is great for the UL hiker in occasional alpine/mountaineering conditions; and after reading this review; I must say, still a better choice than this SD Assailant.
    About $300, or get it at REI as I did for "free" if you know what I mean ;)

robert long

@oblong

I have the assailant.
    Used it on Colorado Trail this year (hiked 26 miles/day av) it performed well and so I have grown fond of it. It sets up easy, makes little noise in gusty weather as fabic nice and taught, plenty long enough and never leaked in some heavy rain that lasted hours (a number of occassions). For a vestibule, I use a Integral Designs Sil Poncho. Fold it in half and secure loops on cape in the holes of pole sleeves. The width is ideal and it comes in yellow too. As for condensation, yes Ive experienced this. I find that if relative humidity less than about 85% in tent then thats fine. Above this and up to 100% I wipe the condensation off to stop it dripping on my sleeping bag.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools