Topic

Bepanthen as Hydropel substitute

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bepanthen as Hydropel substitute

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Hi all, first posts. I've been lurking, what a great little place!

I've been getting back into hiking and backpacking, reading and learning and replacing old/broken stuff in my kit. I've worked down to 12 pounds … but I digress.

I've been looking at Hydropel alternatives and, as a dad with an 18 month old, it struck me that 'Bepanthen Diaper(Nappy) Care Ointment' (there is one that isn't for diapers, so double check) would work really well. It's a diaper rash ointment that creates a nice water barrier on the skin. This is not zinc oxide (which can be messy) but a light, slightly oily cream that leaves a nice dryish water barrier.

I'll be trying it on my next excursions but wanted see if anybody else had any luck with it. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Cheers,
    Richard

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://bepanthen.ie/bepanthen-ointment

The website says different as far as ingredients. It contains zinc oxide, matricaria, essential oils, dexpanthenol

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Actually what you are looking at is a comparative table of different products. Zinc Oxide (Desitin), Matricaria (Herbal Chamomile cream), and essential oils (often lavender and/or fish) are the primary ingredient of different diaper products used for diaper rash. Dexpanthenol is the primary product of Bepanthen.

I've been wearing it around today to test it's resistance to rubbing off. So far so good. It dries down very smooth.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools