Topic

First MYOG pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

Here are some pics of my first myog pack. The intent of this project was to see if I could indeed make my own pack! I used some extra uncoated, un-calendared 1.1 ripstop I had from a previous project, and some plastic parts from DIY Gear Supply. It has a double-layered bottom, a pad pocket, 1/8" foam shoulder straps (3" wide). I used french seams which was a lot more work than necessary, but looks nice all over. 3.0 oz!

Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and learned a lot! The pack fits great and is comfortable with a SUL load. I don't know if I'll ever actually use this pack; the 1.1 I used is kinda weak, and I'm not 100% confident in my shoulder strap connection. However, it's probably strong enough for a safe, on-trail overnighter.

Things for next time: Make the side pockets taller, maybe try a mesh front, figure out a more secure connection between pack & shoulder strap, use an easier seam than a french seam (but still need to protect the fabric edge).

Any comments/suggestions welcome!

pack1

pack2

packback

strap detail

strap back detail

pad pocket

worn

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Hi Daniel,

I can't speak to the strap attachment points, but I, too, would make the side pockets taller.

But man, that tall, slim profile is going to feel sweet breezing down the trail!!! I like the bungee attachment, the strap shape, and you really fit it well to your torso length.

And definitely not nitpicking, but just a suggestion: I would remove the pad sleeve. The pad won't move around inside, so just put it where you want it each time. Wait – it will be harder to remove the pad at rest stops if you remove the sleeve, so if that's important to you just ignore me!

Thanks for sharing.

Todd

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Very nice, especially impressive since its your first try! I would be extremely embarrassed to post my first effort at pack making, took me a couple tries to get it right.

For your next try I'd suggest some slightly heavier fabric like 2.2 oz nylon. It will be a lot easier to sew then silnylon. I might just attach the water bottles to my shoulder straps rather then make side pockets. Not because side pockets are bad, just because they are such a hassle to make.

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm looking forward to making my next one. I have some more substantial materials laying around that I'll play with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools