Topic

Synthetic Overquilt Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Synthetic Overquilt Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

****Got a 50F EE Prodigy in WideLong****

Evening all,

This maybe a stupid question.

I know a lot of people use Synthetic quilts in winter over sleeping bag/quilts.

I am wondering how wide the synthetic quilt would need to be to lay over a regular winter bag and what thickness of synthetic insulation do you use.

Thanks,

Stephen

Olivier DUBUIS

@asiadub

Hello,

I am having the same interrogation. Trying to put together a sleep system with synthetic over down. Right now, i ordered a synthetic quilt to Enlightened Equipment (30 degree prodigyX) and plan to use it in the winter with a Zpack 12 degrees down bag.

I ordered a size large but not sure it will work.

Interested in your systems.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

I'm interested to see the responses but I found this layering system to be a pain when I tried it. I have a Western Mountaineering Caribou down bag rated for 35 degF. The forecast for this trip was low 20's, so I brought a MLD Spirit 48 synthetic quilt to layer over the Caribou. The low that night was 22 degF and I slept fine, but I found it to be a hassle to get the quilt positioned properly and to stay put. Entry, exit, and body position adjustments were a hassle too.

It made me want to just get a warmer bag for those conditions.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi James,

I would be using a bag warm enough for the conditions, the Syn quilt would be to keep mnoisure and the dew point out of the bag. I have down this with good results with a Syn Parka,

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I made mine 88" long and 61" wide. Half taper down to 44" at the feet.

Fits over a regular size WM Antelope just fine.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Dave,

What rating is your overquilt and how much does it weigh?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

It's 100 g/meter Primaloft 1, so 40-45 F on its own. I used a heavier (30D) fabric for both sides as I've been wearing it (via the headhole I put in) as a coat a fair bit. 22 oz I think.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I do recall you mention it using it as a coat, that true dual use :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

After much conversation with Tim Marshall on this subject I ordered one of his Prodigy 50f quilts, all in 10d and size large/wide.

I reckon it will see a lot of use as can be used in Michigan in summer by itself, and as an overquilt in winter.

Happy days.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Stephen,

I ordered the same set up (50*F Prodigy 6' Wide- 10D inner and outer) from Tim to pair with my Katabatic 15*F Quilt for winter purposes and to use by itself for the occasional warm weather spring/summer trip.

The EE quilt didn't arrive in time to officially try out last winter, but I did at least set up my sleep system at home once or twice and climbed in to see how it all fit together. It seemed pretty straightforward and looked like it should work fine: the wide quilt provided plenty of material to drape over my other quilt and I was able to come up with some way to make use of the strap system to help keep the overquilt in place (on top of me).

Obviously it needs more field testing, but so far, I feel pretty optimistic about its prospects.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nice one Nico,

I have tried out 3 quilt over the last few years and always found them slightly narrow so I am hoping the 58" will do the trick. I only get out on trips once a month during the summer but the rest of the year I try to get out twice a month so it will see most use as an overquilt.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

Ive often wondered just how much warmth a 50 degree overbag would add to a 15 degree bag in real life. The equation you all throw around says 10 degrees, but (as usual) I am highly skeptical. Ive also wondered if it would have enough insulation to handle moisture long term until it became a sheet of metal without frequent dry out periods. As I am outdoors a predominate amount of time, I know this last winter there was a month where I would not be able to dry it at all without going into town and drying it in a dryer.

When I am on a UL kick, I plan on buying a 50 degree overquilt or bag. When I'm on my practical and comfort kick, I think perhaps I should get a 40 and play it safe. When I am on my reduce bulk kick, back to the 50…. etc….

This last winter, I had some gear stolen and was forced to use a 30 degree REI Kindercone that a friend gave to me over my MH Phantom 45 bag which I luckily had brought with me that day because I was trying to sell it online.

That January in Utah was the coldest on record, and I saw temps down (where I was at) at least to -5F. There were weeks where the temps did not go above 10F

Surprisingly, it held up decently good considering, but I had to dry out my 30 degree bag quite often which, to go back to my point, makes me wonder if a 50 would lose its effectiveness quicker if not dried often.

My overbag also developed quite a bit of mold, which I am unsure how it could of happened in such cold temps and my drying regiment, but I am no expert on the subject.

Im thining of breaking down and buying a Marmot Nanowave 55 at backcountry for $80 which would take the tinkering out of a quilt purchase and have often wondered about ditching my NF Asylum all together this winter and cowboy camping which I have never attempted in winter. I am worried of waking up with my synthetic frozen solid and not being able to pack it. Ive had that happen in a tent before, and its no fun.

just rambling.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Fitz,,

I pondered back and forth between the 40f and 50f but as my winter trips are 5 days at the most I went for the 50f, the weight difference betwen the 40f and 50f was considerable and I knew if I got a 50f I would end up leaving it at home when it counted most.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools