Topic

Pukaskwa: 160kms Around the Outside via Foot & Raft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Pukaskwa: 160kms Around the Outside via Foot & Raft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Preface:
    The Coastal Hiking Trail in Pukaskwa National Park ("Puck-a-saw") is reputed to be one of the finer hikes in Ontario. It runs 57km (38 miles) of coastline in the NE corner of lake Superior from the north entrance of the park down to an arbitrary ending in the middle of nowhere. The common way to hike this trail is via a water taxi shuttle to the remote southern terminus, but to me this lacked the purity (and frugalness) of an entirely self propelled journey. I contemplated a yo-yo, but the project went on the backburner.

A couple years later I began dabbling in packrafting and my interest was rekindled when I realized that the floatable Pukaskwa River enters Lake Superior just 33km (20 miles) south of the trails southern terminus. Covering the 20 miles of terra incognita with the tools of foot and raft seemed feasible, and so a plan was hatched: Float 65km down the Pukaskwa river (3 days), spend 2-3 days traversing the unknown 33km of shoreline and then another 2-3 days on the Coastal Trail.

Thin red line is logging rd, then it's raft (blue), off-trail (red) and hike (green)
    Pukaskwa 1

A better look at the route plan. Park boundary in thin bright green
    Puk2

Rob from BPL contacted me this past winter eager for some ambitious adventure, so we decided to team up for the Pukaskwa and plans fell into place for an early May trip. Spring is the only time of year to float the Pukaskwa, but this year winter was dilatory and snow and ice persisted as our spring time slot neared. Finally in the last 2 weeks before the trip the ice broke on the river and levels shot up. Our timing offered sporty water and a low chance of bugs in exchange for persistent snowpack in the woods and a cold initial forecast.

Day One: Pukaskwa River Headwaters to Fox River
    We converged on the park on May 10, 2013 after much pre-trip help and guidance from Parks Canada's Lyn Elliot. We picked up our passes and completed the car shuttle by noon.

Water levels were high at 5.3m on the gauge and it was snowing lightly with temperatures hovering below freezing. We put in at 12:30pm, hoping to make it 18km to Fox River that day.

Show up and blow up
    Puk1a

Crossing a pond before the fun starts
    Puk1b

By any measure, day one was tough. Cold & snowing with splashy water and deep snow on the portages. This is about the least snow we found anywhere, as we commonly post holed thigh deep.
    Puk1c

Thing got even colder when Rob took a swim attempting a gauntlet of cedars. A little too keen and not sure if Rob swam, I followed suit and joined him in the drink. Shivering ensued as we paddled hard to get less cold.

There's not many pictures from day one, as the camera's tend to disappear when you're more concerned with avoiding hypothermia. That became an increasing thought as Rob enjoyed his second swim – this time a lengthy and rowdy dip that added a new ventilation hole to his paddling pants.

Rob warming up after swim #2
    Puk1d

After some jumping jacks, we carried on and enjoyed more of the coldest packrafting I've ever done.
    Puk1h

Despite challenges from frigid weather, multiple swims and losing his hat in the river, Rob maintained his unwaveringly positive attitude, which is exactly what you need when the going is tough. We stuck with it and monitored each other to made sure no one was getting too cold. We arrived at our island campsite destination at the Fox River confluence at 7pm and we happily discovered the only significant snow free patch we'd seen all day.

Rob after day 1
    puk1s

I wanted to collapse into my sleeping quilt, but Rob was ambitious enough to be thinking about a fire despite everything being cold and wet. Purely on his own, Rob performed the impossible and started a blaze (shown below).
    Puk1x

We didn't spend too much time around the fire as it was precipitating too much to dry anything, but Rob had the wise thought to tuck away some dry charred logs to get an easy fire going in the morning.

Day Two: Fox River the end of Pukaskwa Rapids
    We awoke to frozen everything, but thanks to Rob's foresight we quickly got a blaze going and spent 2 hours drying everything before venturing on the river at 10:30am.
    puk2a

The morning was cold, but we warmed up with some paddling and eventually the sun came out. The great thing with a super tough first day is that whatever comes after is an improvement and you're extremely thankful for it. We made good time on day 2, as the snowpack thinned in the woods as we drew closer to the lake.

Day two on the river
    puk2a

puk2b

At one point in day 2 we unintentionally got split off the main river into a narrow creek that didn't join up for miles. It was really cool floating through the fast windy creek. Rob enjoyed it, while I worried it would get choked with wood. Thankfully we had just enough water to float over countless beaver dams, and Rob deemed it a high point of the trip.

Hydro incognita – Our diversion from the main river
    Hydro-incognita

puk2d

puk2c

Almost nothing left of Lafleur's Dam
    Puk2e

pinj

Searching for the perfect sleep spot
    Puk2t

dan duomid

Day Three: Pukaskwa Rapids to Imogene Cove
    The sun that appeared on day 2 stuck around to great us on the morning of day 3. We savoured the warm energy and "garage saled" our frozen gear from the cold night, again beginning our float after 10am.

puk3a

day3b

puk3c

Day three was just awesome boating. We portaged Ringham's Gorge and enjoyed some great swifts and white water including the excellent Class III Gorge rapid.

Puk3h

The scenery kept getting better
    Puk3i

Puk3j

Arriving at the mouth of the Pukaskwa River
    Puk Mouth

We arrived around 5pm at Superior to calm water and light winds. We didn't know what weather tomorrow would bring, so we opted to paddle an extra 3km to Imogene cove instead of fishing at the mouth of the river.

Out on the big water
    puk3k

Despite choosing to make miles over fishing, we had camp set up by 7 and had some extra daylight. Rob and I went fishing and on my third cast I pulled in dinner on my ultralight rod. Rob came over to lend me his expertise at landing fish and taking fish pics.

25" Steelhead
    puk3l

bear tracks puk

PukFire

We had a great time on day 3. Fast water, beautiful scenery, joy inducing weather and good fortune. At the same time, the uncertainty of the miles ahead tempered any celebrations as we had completed leg one on an excellent note, but now had to focus on the ambiguities of the second leg.

Puk3x

Day Four: Imogene Cove to Swallow River
    After months of wondering, today we would get our first taste of the unknown lands south of the hiking trail. We set off down Imogene beach and planned a 1.5km bushwack across a pennisula to the next cove (Bonamie).

Getting started on day 4 with more gorgeous weather
    Puk4a

At the end of the beach we entered the bush. I knew most of this area had been logged early in the 1900's, so I expected thick wood and it didn't disappoint.
    Puk4d

Thankfully we found the remains of a trail which allowed reasonable travel. It was rarely this good, but it protected us from the brunt of the thick bush
    Puk4e

Blowing up at Bonamie Cove
    bonamie cove

The wind picked up a lot on day four – thankfully it was a perfect tailwind. It blew us right out of Bonamie cove and we landed on a pennisula just shy of the scary big water. The floating was easy but landing was getting challenging as the waves grew bigger and began breaking.
    puk4h

We stared across the next bay, thrilled at the easy distance we had just covered and wondering if we should tempt fate with a second more exposed crossing. The wind was stiff, but from the perfect direction. Option B was hours of bushwacking around the cove. One more exposed float would land us on the southern pennisula gaurding Otter Cove, which we could bushwack into and then paddle safely within.

We monitored the wind for a bit and it was stiff but steady. The direction was consistent enough that we felt confident we'd head for the right spot, but the waves were getting big enough that landing would be tricky with the crashing waves. We spotted a beach as our destination and a few other beaches as bail options. We asked ourselves what Hig and Erin would do and then decided to go for it.

We set out as the wind continued to grow stronger and the waves grew bigger. The float was several miles across a big bay. We flew, with the wind blowing us at 4km (2.5mph) + whatever effort we put in.

Pictures will never show it, but a tense windy crossing
    day4n

Soon we neared our destination beach. I knew we would hit our target, but I wasn't sure I could make it past the break. I'd tried packraft surfing before and I knew it's really tough to stay straight (and avoid flipping) without a keel. Thankfully the water wasn't deep at the shore break. I went first and tried to sneak to shore between crashing waves. Alas it wasn't meant to be, as a big one caught me and gave the spin & dump. I stood up in waist deep water and hauled my boat into shore, wet but glad to be on firm ground. Rob had better fortune as he nailed the timing and made a big wave landing look easy.

To get across the pennisula into the protected waters of Otter Cove, we negotiated a short bushwack to Buchanan lake, paddled across and then bushwacked again into Otter Cove. It was relatively good walking and quite scenic.

Our route for the 33km of no trail shoreline
    puk7z

In the protected confines of Otter Cove the wind was gentler, so we blew up in mid afternoon and enjoyed easy miles with a tail wind out of the cove. We chatted about the big water ahead and deferred a decision, as we both agreed the last crossing was at the upper limit of sketchy. By the time we got to exposed waters, the wind had slowed enough that we felt okay heading out on the main lake. We were still nervous, but it was definitely less sketchy.

Easy miles on Superior
    Puk4m

The wind faded to an excellent and relatively low-stress tailwind as we hauled down the coast line. The easy travel felt like cheating after months of mentally preparing myself for days of thick brush. The miles flew past as we paddled lightly and chatted. Our daily goal had been Otter Cove, but we revised it to Cascade Falls, and then Triangle Harbour and then to Swallow River. We were at Swallow River just after dinner and we decided to pull in despite knowing all to well that that we could make it the last 5 km to the hiking trail with just another hour on the water. We figured leaving those last 5km for tomorrow would let us get a short taste of the bush we had mostly floated past.

Rob taking the lead in the fishing derby with 3 more trout
    Trout Puk

Winding down at the end of day 4
    Pukday4

Day Five: Swallow River to North Swallow River
    If day four was cheating, then day five was self inflicted punishment. Those 4.8kms of easy lake floating we had casually declined yesterday would consume a 7 hours of tough slogging today. Day five was hard, but we finished with no regrets and a better appreciation for the woods and navigation.

The winds weren't too bad as we awoke (slight headwind), but we never seriously considered asking more from the lake after all it did for us yesterday. We headed inland to the bridge across the Sparrow river. Parks Canada had installed this bridge years ago (90's) when the original plan was to extend the hiking trail all the way to the Pukaskwa River. The bridge went in but the trail never did. Still, we were determined to hike the trail that hadn't been built.

Swallow River bridge to nowhere
    swallow river bridge

The going was thick and slow. It was mostly crashing through dense young forests of balsam fir and spruce that were replacing the dying popular and birch trees that had grown post-logging.

Finding our position in a rare open spot
    Puk5b

Triangulation with Rob's ultralight navigation kit (not our only map/compass)
    Puk5f

Typical day 5 terrainPuk5g

Mountain man Rob
    Puk5n

After about 5 hours and 4km (2.5mi) we made it out onto a walkable beach a few bays south of our goal: the southern trail terminus.
    Puk5g

puk5p

Even still, the going wasn't all easy.
    puk5j

The trail lies just over that peninsula
    Puk5i

Finally, we rolled into the cushy facilities at North Swallow which included a lovely new outhouse and a proper fire pit. We enjoyed our first intentional dips and washed our clothes. We had just arrived at the trail, but it felt like we had completed our trip.

Rob decided he needed a hat to replace the cap he lost on the river. He sewed this lovely crown to impress anyone we might meet on the trail.
    Puk5t

Puk5l

Day Six: North Swallow to Oiseau Bay
    We set off down the trail around 8am. An anthropogenic trail was a welcome and stark change from the previous days walking.

Rob puts on a river crossing clinic at North Swallow
    Puk6a

Such nice walking
    puk6g

Puk6j

puk6k

We rolled into Oiseau Bay around dinner and enjoyed another fire and down time. It was amazing how the good weather stuck around after day one, giving us sunshine and virtually no bugs. Rob and I combined for a total of 6 mosquito sightings over the first 6 days.

Day Seven: Oiseau Bay to Hattie Cove
    Again we got on the trail around 8am and made good time with nice weather and almost no snow.

Rob stares down a moose
    Puk7a

Wonderful sections of trail
    puk7e

Awesome sections of beach walking
    puk7m

We had planned to camp along the White River and finish in the morning, but we got thinking about soft beds and hot food so we pushed on to finish at Hattie Cove. We rolled in around 7pm and had a nice chat with the parks staff.

Overall it was an excellent trip. It's always uncertain to head out on a big trip with someone you've never met, but Rob was awesome trip partner both in skills and psyche. His ability to stay upbeat and positive was awesome during the frigid first day and the never ending bushwack on day 5.

Rob and myself at the finish
    puk7z

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Dan very nicely done trip report. I enjoyed reading it. The map was nice since its an area I'm not super familiar with.

How did that custom Catalyst work out? I remember you posting pictures of it earlier. Does the hybrid cuben hold up well to bushwacking?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Ahh the Catalyst…I'll preface this by saying that a lot of gear damage went down that day. Rob took a hole in his pants and two holes in his pack (if memory serves), while I took several good tears in my shoes. Mid-afternoon Rob remarked how my Catalyst looked unfazed by the bush while his pack had a numerous signs of wear, and then we noticed a huge tear in the side my pack (~6"). The brush was unreal in some sections and I think what happened is that I fell sideways and managed to stab it with a broken branch, which turned a hole into a tear as I continued to move forward.

So the pack looks great except for one large tear. Thankfully it's in an easy spot to sew up and not a high stress area, so it'll just be a cool battle scar once I get around to fixing it.

Aside from that, the pack was excellent. It did a great job keeping the water out (and not taking on weight) while rafting and it carried very well although my pack wasn't much over 30 lbs by the time we were hiking.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

Great trip report Dan, looks like you guys had an awesome adventure. That tear in your pack is just a badge of honor, that will remind you of the trip whenever you look at it.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Great report

I think I'de call that "type 2 fun". Very strenuous trip.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Great trip and report. Thanks for the pronunciation tip (Pukaskwa = "Puck-a-saw"), a little local knowledge always helps…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome route, awesome trip, awesome report. Well done.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thoroughly enjoyed your report Dan. It's so rare these days to find an adventure that you can't thoroughly dissect on the internet beforehand. It's special when you do find one – kind of like doing a first ascent when climbing. I've got a few pieces of "terra incognita" out here that I'm planning on exploring this summer.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

That is one seriously sick trip, and one of the best trip reports I've read in a long time. Thanks for putting it up.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Awesome. Just . . . awesome. I love learning about places I've never even heard of.

I was just trying to follow your trip on google maps. In satellite view (although the river isn't named) you can see the "bridge-to-nowhere" you crossed over.

Here: 48.175430, -86.080703

Eric Batty
    BPL Member

@ericbatty

Strong work and a awesome trip report!

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

I grew up on the North Shore of Superior and can only say Kudos for pulling it off. Look up the National Film Board if Canada's films by Bill Mason canoe camping on the shores during storms. Very impressive stuff and strong parallels. I'm envious. Would love to do a big trip like that in the region, perhaps starting near White River .

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Dan,

Thanks for the great trip report. Dealing with the unknown makes these adventures even more exciting.

You got me now even more interested in pack rafting.

Manfred

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

Awesome trip and trip report! Thanks for sharing.

Dave T

@davet

Ok… that's bad ass. Great trip, and way to persevere under some tough conditions (and to weigh risks and make good decisions).

Right on!

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Totally Envious-

Except this "Despite challenges from frigid weather, multiple swims and losing his hat in the river" , I could do without that. Though it makes for a complete adventure.

Dan, did you use you MYOG PFD on this trip also?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Awesome all around.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks for the kind words guys. If anyone is ever heading down the river shoot me a PM and I'll send you the rare out of print guidebook for it. It was super nice to have accurate beta for the upcoming rapids, and more importantly where to find the barely there portage trails.

Ted, I may have had my MYOG PFD along in 10 lbs float setup ;)

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Missed this TR until someone alerted me to it via Dave's Bedrock & Paradox TR contest. Spectacular looking link-up, you two!

Cheers,
    Sam

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Missed this the first time around too. Impressive. I'm starting to think outside of mountains for wilderness trips, and I'm loving the creativity and drive you guys put in on this one.

Fueling the juices for the coming year. Much appreciated on every level.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Thanks guys. It's fun looking back at the pictures. Definitely a memorable trip.

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

Agreed- sweet report. Could inspire me to purchase a packraft. There are adventures to be had with them. I've kayaked the shore and hiked the trail, would be excellent to link the 2 trips together and finally bag the Pukaskwa river as well.
    I am in Marquette if you have future trips in mind.
    Dana

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Bbrrrrr…definitely a trip report I prefer to read than write, and I suspect that "type 2 trip" comment someone made was close to the mark.
    Tom

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

What a trip report! Thanks for posting.

I'm planning a yo-yo trip for this year with a small group of friends of varying skills levels.

I was a bit surprised to read that you covered the 30.5KM from Oiseau Bay to Hattie Cove in a single day. Are the recommended daily hiking distances in the visitor's guide THAT CONSERVATIVE? It contains lots of warnings about how rugged the trail can be.

Jeff

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools