Topic

survival lanyards, SAK, and Moras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) survival lanyards, SAK, and Moras

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I carry a cheap(found at a bar) knock off SAK type knife that weighs 1.5 oz and my GF has a GIANT 8 oz leatherman. I'm trying to overhaul our sharp things and also thinking about a survival lanyard type kit, but I keep finding myself looking at carrying a mora

I have been thinking about making a lanyard with SAK classic, ACR whistle, small compass, mini bic(could sub in a small faro rod), and possibly tinder.

Besides the obvious UL blade options I've been heavily looking at the classic mora #1 that coming in at only 2.7 oz sounds pretty promising. I have a good understanding of wood craft and survival with a knife, but don't really expect to do much more with a mora besides cut food and maybe cooking over wood. I can also see myself keeping the mora out of my BPW because I would either be neck carrying or belt/side carrying the knife. I don't see a point in carrying it in my pack because one of the main reasons I would carry the extra weight of this knife is in case I was separated from my pack.

Any here carry a Mora on their hip and a SAK as a backup?

Since I plan on making a lanyard for my GF do many women here neck carry a survival lanyard like what I had in mind? How comfortable are they for you?

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I would recommend the Stainless Companion as the Mora.
    The problem with the #1 and other "traditional" Mora knives is that they don't stay in the sheath very well, and the sheaths themselves are not that durable and can tear off at the belt loop.
    Additionally, the wood handle with the steel cup-type bolster has gaps in it which can trap food, making it less-than-ideal for cooking.

The Companion is an equivalent knife, has a very tough molded plastic handle with no gaps to trap food, and it securely clips into the sheath, and the sheath is stronger and will stay on your belt. I think that the plastic handle is tougher and better in all ways than the old wooden handle.

The carbon steel is very good if you can pay attention to keeping it from rusting. Otherwise, the stainless steel 12C27 Sandvik is surgical stainless that is used to make razor blades and scalpels, and will be plenty sharp and tough, and won't rust.

You can find a stainless Companion for around $13, or maybe even less.

It would be a good idea to carry a sharpening stone for it. Since it's a "Scandi" flat grind, a flat Arkansas stone would be best for it. But it you don't want to retain the Scandi grind, you can put a micro-bevel on the edge with a normal sharpener, or you can convex it and use a strop-type hone on it. If you carry a knife that you plan to use, then you need to carry a sharpening device of some kind.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools