Topic

G.G.G. 6 A few changes I’d like to run by you.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning G.G.G. 6 A few changes I’d like to run by you.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Now that the summer forum users are here I'd like to run a few changes for the G.G.G. by you. Please feel free to input your opinions.

I am wanting to change the way money is collected. Instead of individual charges I want to change per site/shelter instead. No charge for minors.

I am so grateful to all the help I've received putting these on. I would like to have a couple of volunteers to help, work the room, as it were. I hardly see some of these people myself you know.

I really liked the spots we had at Coe last time. So much room. One outhouse is a problem though. Di anyine use the other one downhill? Any suggestions?

Looking forward to having a larger manufacturer presence. I thought it was great to have them there. What about you?

Manufacturers: Just PM or email kenthompson2 at mac dot com and get yourself a spot.

Winter still is great with me. You?

I know it is six months off. But have to get started sometime.

Thanks everyone. Especially those who keep coming back!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Ken,

I would definitely like to come along if my flight connections and cost are not ridiculous.

Cheers,

Stephen

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Ken,

Thanks for running your ideas by the community. I especially like the idea to include minors for free. That will hopefully encourage more people to bring their kids.

Location and date has worked well the last couple of years. None of my five girls complained this year about the restroom – so it must be a non-issue.

Having manufacturers there is great.

Manfred

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

No proposed changes here, just thanks for a great event. Winter is good, manufacturers are good. One outhouse onsite was fine – wasn't a big deal to visit neighboring unoccupied sites. Scheduling for the full moon again would be great; reduce headlamp-blindings.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

I would like to see a schedule change, specifically for the sake of the manufacturers and those of us who want to attend Outdoor Retail. While it might have worked out for one or two of those who attended, for others of us it did not work out. I had to cancel my trip to Outdoor Retailer in order to attend the GGG, as my schedule was just not going to allow me to attend both.

I did not find the outhouse to be a problem, though a bit more light in there at night would have been nice. I threw down three lightsticks myself, a few more over the course of the event, or even a battery powered lantern (which I could have brought but did not think about it) would have been nice for those who needed a midnight run. (ps: I have no idea there even was a second outhouse – would have been nice for such to be disclosed on a broader scale)

I think if you are going to have more than three or four manufacturers at the next event you should probably try to get them into a designated area. At times it felt like I was going to be tripping over vender products, no matter where I went within the main area. Not saying you should put them over in some corner all by themselves, but for those 3am trips to the outhouse, in order to get from the main location to the outhouse, meant weaving your way through at least three different vendors with their gear all setup.

The whole "gear exchange" was about 80% over before I even realized it was taking place and did not have a chance to get all of my gear that I brought to give away and sell put out. Seems like if you happened to be standing around that one little area you were aware of it being time to setup, but a whole lot of folks were not hanging around that one little area. Not really sure how to solve this… maybe a pre-declared location and time for such events could be useful. Yeah, it means more logistics/management, and that is never a fun thing… I know.

I have no issues with switching over to a per-shelter fee system. My only thought would be regarding those who came in but never really spent the night at our location, and instead hiked further into the park. Seems like those folks should be paying their own way into the "park" and not necessarily the "event" (??)

I think providing further information on locations outside the park for vendors and those not able to camp out at the event site location, would be highly beneficial. Providing nearby hotel contact information for those folks who need this could be nice – especially for those from outside California who have no idea how close or far things are.

I think at some point in the continued growth of this even you are going to have to stop and consider safety issues. I did not see a single fire extinguisher anywhere near the campfire site. I also think it would have been nice for anybody there with medical training to have designated themselves as such, for if a medical issue does arise, everybody is fully aware of who that go-to person would be. Guessing a few of us there were CPR qualified and probably even a few with their WFA/WFR training, but what about if there was a certified nurse on-site? Would have been nice to know.

Anyway, guess that is about it. I share all of these as somebody who attended the event for the first time. Fresh eyes looking in at the happenings of it all.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"My only thought would be regarding those who came in but never really spent the night at our location, and instead hiked further into the park. Seems like those folks should be paying their own way into the "park" and not necessarily the "event" (??)"

Throwing some money in the donation jar while..

they go in to pay for parking..

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Only four people have any thoughts about all of this???

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've attended the past two G.G.G. events and I preferred the group campsites this last year. The newer latrines were a big improvement, although I was not aware of another nearby outhouse there were never any long lines at the main camp.

I was impressed with the increased presence of cottage manufactures and especially liked the ability to try on a few of Gossamer Gear's backpacks. I know it's up to the manufacturers themselves but it would be great to have had some more demo gear to try out.

I agree with John that the gear swap was somewhat of a miss. Luckily I was in the area when gear was beginning to be laid out on the grass. I know that most people will be around camp during the swap and that it is a better location than the parking lot but perhaps we could coordinate a time for the swap and a way of getting gear in / out from those who want to participate in the swap.

I have no problem making my contribution to offset Ken's expenses in bringing us this event. I also am pretty flexible in the date as well. Winter is nice and it would be great if we could coordinate to allow more cottage manufacturers to attend.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Could we have a firearms safety class?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

"Could we have a firearms safety class?"

That's scheduled to take place after my Taser on trail resupply demo. I need a volunteer. You in?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"That's scheduled to take place after my Taser on trail resupply demo. I need a volunteer. You in?"

Definitely! Whoa, one of the craziest nights I ever had in Vegas involved a Taser, a small calf, and 5 pounds of vegetarian chili. Dude, do NOT ever let a small calf hold the taser, you can not trust those little bastards!

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Fantastic, Ken. I'm really looking forward to seeing the idea put into practice on others.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

If renegade Washingtonians are permitted to attend, could I get some written assurance that no one will try to mount me to assert alpha dominance?

Sounds like you are in the preliminary phase but are you tentatively looking at the last weekend in January?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

We'll get you a Washingtonian, Do not Mount T-shirt. Come on down Ian! Yes on the date.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ian, note how Ken could not reassure you on not getting mounted by anyone asserting their dominance..

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

That's because Coe is a State Park and I will be unarmed.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ha ha! I guess I'll take my chances!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Ken, Thoroughly enjoyed the GGG earlier this year. As a vendor, I too would hope to avoid a calendaring conflict with the Outdoor Retail show. Do you have tentative date(s) in mind for 2014 yet? Thanks for doing so much. How can I help "work the room"?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I've had a couple of manufacturers comment that they like that it is the same weekend as OR. They are out traveling anyway.
    Gossamer Gear will be back. Henry Shires expressed interest in bringing some stuff out for the next one too.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

So you're planning the next GGGG (Great Gathering of Gear Geeks) for the weekend of January 22 – January 25, 2014?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Geez, not another G. 3's plenty. I have not made the official announcement, but those are the dates I'm thinking about.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Excellent insight as always John. I think that this event is still far enough off the radar for most manufacturers. If they have a booth at OR, chances are they would never come. The cottage folk that we love so much seem to roam the floor and mingle.

More light is not a problem. Easy fix. So is a better layout of people and tents for better traffic flow through.

I PM those coming from out of the area giving any support I can. No need to clog up the thread with info that 99% don't need.

Safety and Safety. It has gotten to the size now that statistics are no longer in my favor. Something will happen, I know. This is where I need help and volunteers. Advice from anyone who has put together a large group in an outdoor setting is welcome as well.

I like the idea of some shirts or something to differentiate the host and helpers from the rest. I am able to contact the ranger and the HQ directly if emergency arises.

I got to get busy. It's right around the corner.

Those with children. Is this a bad weekend for you guys with school or anything?

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Ken,

All school districts are different – so I can only speak for our children. I checked the calendar and the proposed weekend of 1/24-26 works just fine.

Best Regards,

Manfred

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

so ; i was strolling around the parking area at Sailor Flat, and noticing that it's big, nearly flat'ish, free, tree'd, has a beautiful hike to the American River right next door, is near a historic mine or two, and is sissy 4×4 friendly but has lots of 2×4 parking on the access road, morning sun, and nice views, i thought it might be ideal for a group camp. it's been hit hard in the past so it's not like we can muck it up.
    just a thought for the future (no thoughts for the past today …) .
    might put an end to parks, fees, rules, and other annoyances.
    it will though, be under about 6' of snow in January.

Ken does us a great favor with these gatherings.

v.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Why not make it the weekend before daylight saving time change. which would be oct 26. it has close to no possibility of snowing and it stays lighter longer…
    I live in the bay area and have never attended mainly because i didn't want to stand around a campsite freezing in the dark from 4:45-?…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools