Topic

Zpacks 8.5×8.5 Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks 8.5×8.5 Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

I have been eyeballing this tarp for a while and wanted to poll the group for some information. Right now I am using a MLD Pro Cuben Solo tarp with a Wasatch Bivy. Total weight is about 8 oz but things can get pretty constricted and I am stuck with only an A-Frame. With the Zpacks 8.5×8.5 do you think I could get away without the bivy and still be good in wind and a decent rain storm? Trying to simplify my system and make it a little more flexible without adding weight. With the Zpacks tarp and a polycro ground sheet I am looking at 7.1 oz. By the time I add a few additional stacks and some more guyline I would end up at about the same weight.

Justin Nelson
    BPL Member

@jnelson871

Locale: CA Bay Area

Bump.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Personally, I would not use just a tarp of that size without a bivy of some sort. Too easy for bounce, spray of shifting winds to blow the rain sideways onto my sleeping bag.

A square tarp does give some different rigging options over a dedicated A-frame – nice.

YMMV.

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

It's Zpacks. Have them make you a 9 x 6 (or even 10 x 10) tarp, should provide lots of coverage and options. I've never heard them refuse a customer's gear designing or modification efforts. My own crazy ideas included.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have been researching tarps lately. I also don't like using a bivy, so one of my criteria is to get one large enough to provide good coverage. I have settled on the Zpacks 8'x10' tarp. That size seemed to be the forum consensus pick for a solo tarp with good coverage and some pitching options.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

I personally like a side-entry, so I don't pitch in A-frame style.
    I pitch in modified half-mid style, so I like a 9' long and 6' wide tarp.
    However, this is still open on one side, so you must pitch the opening on the lee side of the wind, or you're going to get wet in the rain.

The only two ways to get full protection in tarping is to get a very large tarp, or use a shaped tarp.
    If I were getting something from ZPacks, it would be a Hexamid Solo. Same weight, better coverage.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools