Topic

Elemental Horizon pack volumes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Elemental Horizon pack volumes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I'm looking at the Aquilo and the Kalais and have been reading that the actual volumes are quite a bit higher than the stated volumes. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these packs?

I'm currently using an MLD Prophet size small, which has a stated volume of ~2900 ci, but the rolled 1/4" CCF pad that I use as a frame does eat up some of that space. For colder weather and longer trips when I'm carrying 5-7 days of consumables, I'd really like something just a tad larger. An Aquilo in size small is described as just over 3000 ci, or 50 L. The Kalais is more like 2600 ci. So I'm pretty sure what I want is the Aquilo–correct?

Also, how do these packs handle bear canisters? Thanks!

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

I have a medium kalais and it just swallows all my gear. Granted I made the switch from a jam 50 to it and it still has room left over for me. It certainly seems to be a little bit like a Mary poppins bag in the sense that it fits much more than I would have expected. Not really sure if this helps. It certainly holds more than my jam 35 for what its worth.
    Just send him an email voicing you questions and concerns. Ive always had great interactions with Matt. Get the aluminum v-stay. Well worth the weight IMHO.
    Thanks,
    James

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

When I was researching packs before I bought my Kalais I noted that the volume of the extension collar was not included in the total volume figure for the pack. So, it will hold more than one would think based on the stated 47 liter capacity. Still, using a Kalais with a full sized bear canister (eg BV-500) is an exercise in packing. I, too, have a medium size (in forest green) and It will handle the big bear can vertically but it's a tight squeeze and consumes some of your extension collar space as well.
    By all means get the V-stay, it makes the pack more comfortable even with lighter loads.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I own and love my size small Kalais pack but I don't own a bear canister so unfortunately I cant help you there but here is a review with a 2 1/2 gallon bucket being put inside to simulate one here .

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

The SGT Rock review is very informative; thanks!

Anna, since you have the size small, can you tell me how long the extension collar on your Kalais is? I can't find any photos to give me a good sense of how much extra space the collar provides.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

my extension collar is 11 inches high and 17 1/2 wide.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools