Topic

REI limiting returns to one year

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI limiting returns to one year

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes this is interesting, yesterday I returned a Firesteel mini that I had used maybe 2 times but was purchased 3 years ago. On the second use, while demonstrating how to use it during a training class the steel fell out on the first strike. Obviously this was a manufacturing defect and though 3 years old it was still brand new.
    I did take it in and returned it for a replacement.
    They exchanged it with out any issues.

To me this is the kind of thing that should be covered and is/was under the old policy. Now a pair of shoes that looks like a train had ran over them after they were drug behind a car on a dirt road for 100 miles, isn't in the spirit of the policy.

It will be interesting to see how this is implemented.

It will also make me think twice when I want to purchase something- drive 2 miles to the local REI or chance the possibility of the return postage to Backcounty.com because they have a better return policy.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

Having watched people use REI to "borrow" gear (buy, use for the period you need it, return for a full refund) and/or return gear that is obviously worn out through regular wear and tear over a long period of time, I have long thought REI's policy was abused. Those people pretty much ruined it for everyone, but that happens in all walks of life.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

Whats wierd is that backcountry.com does not take returns or exchanges in person at its store. They make you mail it in, even if you live in SLC. By the way, what a bunch of snobby trust fund kids that work there, but i digress.

Dave Stoller
    BPL Member

@breakingaway

"Maybe unconditional returns for a year, and after that it takes a reason ?"

I think this is the idea right here. And "reason" needs to be defect-related.

I think it also ought to be exchange-only after a year unless the item is accompanied by a receipt and in straight up new condition. That would at least keep the money in the building.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

IMO the problem with adding a reason for the return after the 1-yr is that now you've got REI store managers deciding whether or not something should be returned. This is going to be trouble because everyone's opinion is different & obviously the customer thinks it should be returned. So every time a return is denied you've got a pissed off customer. Easier to manage a customers expectations to have a flat one size fits all policy.

This change will not affect how much I shop there. (which is very little anyway)

Ryan

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I have a colleague at work who has two sons – both scouts. He buys them nice rain gear – a reasonable choice – except as they outgrow it he returns them to REI and gets a new, larger set. I'm sensitive to cost – understand with growing boys and Scouts gear can be a challenge but it always irks me that he does this… and I know he is not even close to being the worst offender.

On the other side of the equation I bought a Garmin watch for my wife online and it stopped working after 2 years… Garmin would repair it, for a relatively high fee. I was irked that a top of the line item stopped working after a relatively short period of time with no abuse. Wish I'd gotten it at REI – I would have been able to return it and just gotten another Garmin. I got the replacement at REI however … almost exclusively due to the return policy.

For me it is the benefit of not having to go through the manufacturer which can be a hassle and worth paying a bit more for the option. That defective Garmin was dicey from an early stage too but by that point I had no option about getting something different.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Phillip, maybe you should remind your fried about the scout law- A scout is honest and trustworthy.
    Some how I don't think his clothing exchange is honest or trustworthy

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I hardly ever shop at REI because there are no storefronts in my area and I shy away from buying my gear online–mostly because I have a great locally owned gear shop that suits my needs for everything except "Big 3" type items.

My local gear shop has a no-questions returns policy on new-in-package items, no time limit. For anything that's been used, they'll charge a restocking fee or suggest you consign it in their huge used-gear department. I think it's a very fair system, as the original purchaser recoups some of the original cost, minus the value of whatever use they got out of the product (rather than expecting a full refund on something that is no longer worth its MSRP). From my perspective, consigning saves me the hassle of maintaining an eBay/GearTrade account and shipping things all over the place when I want to upgrade my gear!

Likewise, the local bike and ski shops here do annual swaps where folks can bring their stuff, set a price, and find new homes for used bikes, skis, etc. It's a great resource for young folks, families with kids, or anyone else who wants to get into a sport but doesn't have the cash to buy shiny new equipment. It's similar in concept to the REI Garage Sale, only none of us go into it expecting a full refund on used items. I wonder if restricting their returns policy will reduce the volume of stuff for sale at the Garage Sales…

Plus, shopping local and trying things in person reduces the likelihood that you'll need to return items in the first place!

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I just received an email from REI outlining their new return policy. I have no major issues with it. For most items, I'd expect to figure out if I'm satisfied with them well within the first year of purchase.

Just as a point of clarification, the email I received stated that products subject to manufacturing defects would not be limited to the new 1-year deadline.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"Just as a point of clarification, the email I received stated that products subject to manufacturing defects would not be limited to the new 1-year deadline."

Yeah that is good news.

They also added the following language:
    "REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents."

All in all it is still a pretty good policy, but personally I think the prices should come down a bit with the reduced warranty. I doubt they will and I will probably shop price on my purchases a bit more than I have in the past. I imagine they will lose some business as a result, I am pretty sure they will lose a percentage of mine, but it remains to be seen how much.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have a pack and my wife has a sleeping bag that we only have used once each but not too happy with them, we were going to bring them back but decided to hold on to for another while to try them, now that things are changing I will deifniley bring them back and get use the cash for a new canoe.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

New policy is now posted
    http://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

And the email to all members went out today. I am assuming most folks here received it as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The other thing most people should realize that this is the official statement regarding exchange policies. Typically manufacturers/retailers post something in the event of abuse, but regularly will go beyond the posted claim/guarantee if the situation honestly warrants it.

Ian Kyle

@ieo

I spend MORE at REI than I would elsewhere because I know I don't have to worry. It's a shame they have decided they can't continue this unconditional policy, as I no longer have a reason to make big purchases there when I can get the same items cheaper elsewhere. I bought my boots at REI for $130, even though they were $100 on Amazon because I know if they fail before they should I get taken care of.

In my opinion, REI is setting themselves up to be the next Best Buy – Just a fitting room for cheaper online retailers.

Fitz Travels

@fitztravels

Thank the yuppie North Face crowd for this. Im poor as hell and always restrained myself from using something and then returning it unless it was defective. Whats happening is people are using REI basically to test gear. People basically admit it in here indirectly. Have you all read any of the product reviews on REI website? Most negative ones are ridiculous, people expecting a product to do something it was never intneded to do, misusing the product and complaining about results, or people expected the products to cook their morning tea and give them massages, not to mention people who bought something a year ago and only used it 2 times and think they are entitled to get their money back. Come on.

Damn greedy yuppies.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Good for them.

Perhaps this will force people to become smarter consumers and do some diligent homework prior to making a purchase. So many people who shop at REI make impulse purchases and leave with a bunch of stuff they don't really need or could have found somewhere else for less had they been patient. I agree completely with a previous posters comment about REI selling junk. Much of their gear is junk and is sold to buyers that lack any real knowledge in how to use it.

Buy right the first time and buy quality gear from companies that stand behind their product. Use what you do own and get rid of what you don't. Trim the gear fat and you'll have less stuff to return or exchange.

I don't understand why so many REI members are frequently going back and forth returning products and exchanging items. With all the available information available to the outdoor community it's perplexing how many people make regretful purchases on shoddy gear.

Tanner M

@tan68

> I know people that would buy a dog crate at Costco while visiting family in a different city, then return it before they go home.

Yes, or buy things from Wal-Mart to use for the weekend. A cooler or whatever. Or buy cameras to play with even though they never plan to build a system with that company. etc. Some people do have fantastic rationalizations…

Tanner M

@tan68

> Whats happening is people are using REI basically to test gear.

In more ways than one. In addition to TNF, I think blogging has a small hand in this mentality.

At least at a camera site I visit, people will order equipment to 'review' so they can have content for their blog. Not many, only a few.

The bizarre thing are the threads about 'used' equipment from camera stores. Where do they think the $1400 camera goes after someone fiddles with and changes their mind. ?

Tanner M

@tan68

> … people blow out the crotches of pants

Some cultures, this is a 'coming of age' event.

Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

I had already stopped purchasing from REI because a lot of what I want isn't available in their stores. One area I have continued to use is their outlet because you can get some great prices. The problem is that they put a 30 day restriction from purchase date on outlet items, which means I have very little time to return if the item just isn't a good fit ( I live far from any rei or other outfitter). This took a positive and made it a pretty big negative.

I do think the 1yr for non-outlet items is fair, bug won't pay as much of a premium in the future to get a lesser benefit.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Unbelievable !

I signed a one year lease and bought all new gear to match my rad paint job. Unfortunately, I found out my lease wasn't getting renewed.
    Now, After 11 months, I have to move. I found a new place, but the shoes, tent, bike, clothes, and pack I bought for my last place clash with my new decor. REI will take it back. Or at least they used to. I bought it all there especially for the unlimited lifetime warranty.

I use my new bike everyday, and wore out my tires, break pads, and tubes. i returned them to REI. I can return them after 10 months of abuse because I thought they should be better. Then a month later i find out I have to move again. l had to take it all back and get a kayak because I had a trip planned and needed a kayak more than the other gear.

Too bad being wet and cold is miserable ! I returned they kayak for a set of backpacking gear and set off on the AT. After walking from Georgia to Maine, I found BPL and soon decided I don't like anything in my kit. so i head to REI and return it all.

I can't believe they are limiting the swindling to 1 year. I will never shop there again ! I only buy everything at their sky high prices because of the return policy. Lets get the pitchforks and torches,

–G.B.–

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Gross!!
    One of the best posts yet.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

my offices are darn close to the REI flagship store and I frequent their gear garage which is where returns generally go. I am amazed at both the condition and the reasons for their returns.

There are many, many items that that were damaged during use and returned. There is a Patagonia down jacket in there right now with several large burn holes and tears covered by black duck tape. I cannot imagine a reasonable scenario where this should be covered by the retailer.

I also see many items in perfect shape returned for the flimsiest of reasons – it was itchy, didn’t realize the rack wouldn’t fit my car, no longer wanted, etc.

I will miss the great finds though, like my $20 Sol Ti in perfect shape.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

There have been a few items I have bought in the last year that I thought I would use or would fill a niche but they did not fully and I have been waffling on returning them or not. i was going to keep them because of the warranty and just try ot use them but maybe not so much right now. Thanks for the update. I am an REI memeber but never received an email. Probably turned that feature off when they kept sending emails about their specials every three days. But yeah, Backcountry looks much better now as an option.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

When I used to work at an Audio/Video department in Sears, people would come in and "buy" a big screen TV a couple of days before Super Bowl week-end, throw a party, and then "return it" on Monday.
    In the sporting goods department, the sales guy there told me that people would buy a small boat and outboard motor, go fishing for a week-end, and then bring it back for a refund.
    At Lowes, when I was buying my lawn tractor, the salesman told me that people buy these things and mow their lawn for a month, and then return them for a refund. Then they do the same thing to another store to get one for the next month.

It seems that there is no end to it.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools