Topic

2-3 Night Trips Near San Francisco

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 2-3 Night Trips Near San Francisco

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joseph K

@jkifer

Can anyone recommend some routes for a 2-3 night solo trip within a 2-3 hours driving of SF? This will be my first solo, so not looking for anything too crazy mileage-wise. I'm leaning toward somewhere in the sierras that can be easily accessed, but also open to places like big sur. Thanks!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The Emigrant Wilderness and the Desolation Wilderness aren't too far from San Fransisco.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

…Quickest drive to the Sierras will be to the Wrights Lake trailhead in Desolation Wilderness. About 3 hours, 15 minutes *IF* you drive early in the morning when there is no traffic (leave at 6 am).

Reserve a trailhead in advance at recreation.gov. Or walk into the permitting office at Pollock Pines for a walk-in.

Summer is for the Sierras ;) Nobody around here (the Bay Area) bothers backpacking locally when the Sierras are open for business in the summer or early fall. Just not even close to the same thing.

– Elizabeth

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

drive to calistoga. have a nice lunch. park car in town , perhps behind/next to, the hrdw store. hike up historic wagon road built by chinese labors around steept drops on corners, to nearly the top of "the high rocks trail", and you can overnight there on the flat to the west of the pass. drink wine to a beautiful sunset. (you'll prob want a water filter). in the morning, awake and drop backt ot town to another nice lunch and a beer.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Stanislaus NF
    Emigrant Wilderness
    Kennedy Meadows TH
    Crabtree TH
    Gianelli TH

Carson Iceberg Wilderness
    Arnot Creek TH
    Disaster Creek TH
    Clark Fork TH

Eldorado NF
    Caples Creek TH/Silverfork TH

Desolation Wilderness
    Rockbound TH
    Twin Lakes TH
    Lyons Creek TH

Mokelumne Wilderness
    Carson Pass TH
    Woods Lake TH
    Caples Lake TH

*I'll elaborate more when I'm at an actual computer.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Joseph,

We've posted quite a few trip reports of 2-3 nights near San Francisco. You can find info about them in our photo gallery

Usually the trip details are available in the captions of the first couple images (including gpx files etc).

Recommendation for which one is best depends on your timing. Big Sur is too hot and full of flies between June and August, IMO. Best time there is late September to May. Coe is also very hot in the summer. For hikes near San Francisco, I'd stick with the peninsula or Marin. Referring to our photo gallery, and assuming you're looking for a hike in June or July, look at:

Marin County overnight via CalTrain
    Santa Cruz to Monterey Backpacking
    SanFran to SantaCruz via the Coast Backpacking
    SanFran to Pt Reyes Loop Backpacking
    Thanksgiving Palo Alto to Santa Cruz Backpacking
    Pt Reyes CA Circumambulation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools