Topic

EXODUS sandals….who’s in?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear EXODUS sandals….who’s in?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Hello everyone,

It's been over a month since the initial prototype has been built, and after much feedback from BPL members and non-members alike, I am pleased to say that I am ready to take some initial orders for the…

exodus logo

I wasn't sure at first if I was going to move forward with making additional sandals for others outside of friends and family, but many of you have expressed interest, so with that support and a thumbs-up from my wife (the only other person in the world other than myself that owns a pair of XO's), I am happy to ask, who's in? Now for those who haven't followed the other thread, you can access that here: http://goo.gl/H1Wv2 (shortened for convenience) to get some background information and get caught up on the details.

muddy exodus sandals

Mostly for enjoyment and to share the experience so far with friends and family, I started a site on tumblr to add some test photos and other details to help those who prefer visual aid. In hindsight, this may be the perfect place to put other details such as a tutorial on sizing which I will add this weekend (custom tracings to start off for now) and eventually, hopefully, your reviews! This site can be found at http://www.exodussandals.com.

So with that, here is what needs to happen. I want to take this slow to make sure everyone who gets a pair has direct contact with me so that I can respond effectively and in a timely manner regarding any questions, concerns, gripes, expressions of enthusiasm or the opposite as quickly as possible. I also need to order the materials which should take no more than a week to get in once the orders are placed. So, unless there is an uproar, I will ask that anyone interested please post or PM me here, or send an email to exodussandals [at] gmail [dot] com by Tuesday morning 2013.06.04 expressing interest. If there are more interested, we can discuss that for a second build or take them as they come.

After receiving some feedback from some here, and with my cost currently being about $15 per pair (for now, limited materials and shipping costs don't help) not counting labor, I believe a fair asking price will be $35 per pair INCLUDING SHIPPING to CONUS via USPS. Please note that this is only for BPL readers and will not be offered anywhere else right now. If anyone is interested that is not in the CONUS, I will only add the actual shipping charges to be fair. We can work out the details once things get rolling.

So thanks again for all of the kind words and feedback, and let me know if there are any questions…

Thanks,
    Ryan

(edited to change email address for better organization on my end…thanks)

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Count me in

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love seeing the progress you made. You can put me down for a pair. Also, will you be able to make women's sizes as well? My girlfriend might possibly want one.

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Phillip – thanks, will keep you posted

@Andy
    – we will make them custom based on tracings of your foot so, yeah…no problem! My wife wears hers almost daily as well :)

Thanks,
    Ryan

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

How much would a size 8 men's weigh?

Can I by-pass the toe loop and ware them with my hiking socks???

thanks,

bill

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

You can put me down for one pair.

Gerald L
    Spectator

@mtngeronimo

Locale: SoCal

Yep, just what I've been looking for : )

Glenn Camagay
    BPL Member

@magong

Locale: Central California

Count me in!!! I did send you a PM earlier this morning.

Adam Sherrerd
    BPL Member

@loess

ohboyohboyohboy gimme gimme gimme! :P

(sent you a PM, Ryan)

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I'm in for two pairs

Wade Ford
    BPL Member

@cwford

Locale: NTX

Count me in too!

Richard Cullip
    BPL Member

@richardcullip

Locale: San Diego County

I'll take a pair.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Count me in for one pair!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ryan,
    Here's the issues:
    I carry the extra weight of and use sandals for stream crossings because:
    >To keep the regular hiking footwear dry, or at least less wet.
    >EVA is the lightest stuff I've found that will protect the bottoms of my tootsies.
    >Finally broke down and got a pack with a shovel pocket that easily holds bulky sandals
    >A light pair of neoprene anklet dive sox will fit under the sandal straps and keep the feet from feeling like they are turning to solid ice in spring runoff.

So the problem is the big toe strap that obviously won't work with the dive sox.
    And not sure how stable the sandals would be without using the big toe strap.
    And what you're using doesn't look like EVA, but maybe something heavier.

Would be interested in your comments.
    Good luck with the sales.

Gregory Allen
    BPL Member

@gallen1119

Locale: Golden, CO

I'm in for one pair! Watched previous thread with great interest.

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

Wow, thanks for the interest everyone!

@Bill
    – I have not yet made a size 8 but my size 11's were just over 4 oz per sandal so I think it is safe to say 4 oz or less per sandal.

@Bill
    & @Samuel – I have not tried wearing the sandals without the toe loop, except for the very first couple prototypes which were the standard huaraches style, so I can't really comment. I can, however, try it and get back with you.

Thanks again everyone. Just as an FYI, I think I will have those who said they are in, send an email to exodussandals [at] gmail [dot] com with a foot tracing and send the money via PayPal gift (to a different PayPal email). Then I will order materials on Tuesday and start fulfilling the orders as quickly as possible once materials arrive.

Thanks,
    Ryan

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

You got my email right; I didn't PM.

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Emailed. What do you think your production time will be? And may we opt to pay via "purchase" rather than "gift" and add the 3% PayPal fee to the $35.

Cullen Steele
    BPL Member

@csteele

Locale: Northwest

Would love a pair!

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@BER – I'm good with adding the 3% if it's not the gift option, thanks for asking

@spelt
    – I got your email!

Thanks,
    Ryan

Ryan French

@lifegearguy

@Samuel – after re-reading your question/post, I wanted to add some clarity.

The rubber I am currently using is the 6mm gumlite material from Vibram. This is what they call an expanded rubber but is essentially a mix of rubber & neoprene (hence the reason you get a slight impression under your foot after wearing them a while, it's like you get a pair of custom custom sandals, lol).

However, I have been in contact with Vibram direct trying to figure out some other options for R&D purposes as well, just trying to continually improve the original. I have another material on order that should be in next week, enough for a pair or two, but am also working with Vibram to see what they recommend. The important thing for me and the sandals is that I need a compound that I can heat and mold. I prefer the sandals to be hand-molded around the edges and under the arch to keep the sandal right under your foot and also help prevent the walking-in-tall-grass-front-of-the-sandle-rolls-under-foot syndrome others have complained about. So far, with the molded footbeds it has worked out really well for me.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Mike Prohoroff
    BPL Member

@mjprohoroff1

Locale: Southern Oregon

Count me in!!!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Ryan,
    Four oz per sandal in men's size 11 is certanly better than the 5 plus for the EVA, which is not a very durable material either.

My only concern is the rolling you mentioned, especially if the toe loop is omitted.
    Maybe a second small buckle would help if there were no toe loop. When crossing streams, it is essential that the sandal remain in place against forces generated by sucking mud and angular sharp rocky surfaces; otherwise yours truly is going for a mightly cold swim, pack and all. Since I have two Shelties, and also carry one dog under one arm for two of the five crossings needed to get everything to the other side, I'm very big on the swim not happening. LOL.

Really like the arrangement you have for retaining the heel and ankle.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I'm definitely in.

Daniel Fish

@danielfishfamilypdx-com

Locale: PDX

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools