Topic

Simple sock recommendation needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Simple sock recommendation needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I've been studying socks for a few hours and my mind's starting to spin. I just need a simple recommendation or set of recommendations. What I'm looking for is a sock that is as quick-drying, lightweight (<40 g), and durable as possible and covers the ankle. Synthetic preferred. Low price as well.

I have worn nylon-based dress socks extensively in the past, but they're usually too high up on my calf and often beefier than I would like.

It also must be something that I can order online (e.g. Amazon) because I am not in the U.S. and cannot just hop over to Walmart/JC Penny's.

Recommendations much appreciated!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I use the Darn Tough brand:
    http://darntough.com/hike-trek-1439.html

I prefer the cool-max version as I think wool is heavier and holds more water/sweat… others believe the wool version wicks moisture away from your skin better…

they're not cheap… but they last…

and, what ever brand socks you buy, be sure to get ones of the thickness that makes your boot fit best… socks that are too thick will make your boot too tight… socks that are too thin will make your boots too lose… in my experience..

bill

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Darn tough are very good, also you worth looking at Bridgedale in Europe.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Thanks, Bill. I'm sure those are nice. I often hike in Darn Tough merino and like them a lot, but I'm looking for a thin sock lighter than anything Darn Tough makes, as far as I can tell from their pictures. I'm preparing a system to be used for a 4-week trek in cold and wet conditions above the Arctic Circle that consists of:

– 2 light, thin, and quick-drying pairs (what I'm asking about in this thread) — I think some kind of cycling sock may fit my needs
    – 1 pair warm, insulating, yet quick-drying
    – 1 Outdoor Research VB socks

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

for a light weight/thin hiking sock I've been using and really like Cabela's X4 Tech socks:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=sock+copper&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&x=0&y=0

they are snug and don't slide around on your foot… all synthetic materials… seem to be tough… never had a blister with them…

bill

Scott Hayden
    BPL Member

@spiffyguy

I like my Wright Sock Escape IIs. No blisters yet have many dirty and wet miles. I am a convert..for now.

josh jordan
    Spectator

@jjchgo

i picked up the c9 premium low cut socks from target right before my last hike and absolutely loved them. for the price and fit i couldnt be happier. $8.99 for a 3 pack, 97 % Polyester, 2 % Spandex. i cant speak on how long they will last but for the price i'm happy w/ my purchase.

hth,

jj

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Ok, how durable are they?I have gone through dozens of coolmesh II Wrightsocks. I get about 250 miles. Absolutely love them. Are the point 6 heavier the the standard coolmesh II?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools