Topic

1 night in Yosemite. We’re do you go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning 1 night in Yosemite. We’re do you go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Hey there,
    I'm looking to do a quick 2 day, 1 night trip in Yosemite later this month.
    Where's the best place for views that isn't too crowded?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

are you talking Yosemite Valley or the greater park?

bill

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

also,
    are you talking about views from the car (lots of great ones)
    or a hikes with views ?

you can simply stand in the meadows of Yosemite Valley and be surrounded by amazing views if you don't mind the crowds.
    if you've never been there, you should at least start in those meadows.

you can simply drive up and thru Tuolumne and be surrounded by amazing views.

the hikes up to the rim of the valley offer great views, lots of elevation gain.

If you have ONLY 2 days, and have never been to Yosemite, I would recommend biting the bullet and just be a tourist for 2 days. Enjoy the many views not far from the road. Take a couple day hikes. Get a permit and hike up to the top of Half Dome, a very crowded classic, but a CLASSIC.

Next time you can come with more time and go backcountry.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

This may be like, fast, cheap and well-made. You can have two out of three, but not all three. Yosemite has all kinds of good "views" but usually people really mean "views of half dome." How about Tuolumne Meadows to Donahue Pass? It's 12 miles each way. Great views of sierra peaks from Donahue Pass. I just did this hike on Saturday/Sunday. It's Lyell Canyon trail, though, so fairly crowded with JMT hikers. I also hiked TM to Cold Canyon on Sunday/Monday. I saw no one on the trail to Cold Canyon after I passed Glen Aulin. Lots of great river views on that trail. For the valley, maybe try Rockslides trailhead to North Rim and then down Yosemite Falls trail? View from Donahue Pass

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Anywhere in the park I can backpack for a night.
    Forgive my typo's earlier. I actually want to go the weekend of June 7th.

I was looking at Cathedral lakes, but worried the crowds might be too crazy.
    Thoughts? Other suggestions?

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks James!
    Do you have a trip report or more photos of that trip you did to Donahue Pass?
    Did you need ice axe/traction to get up there or is it all melted out?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

any place else Cathedral Lakes might seem great, in Yosemite its just average. if its your first trip do something else.

if you absolutely insist on an overnighter, then the idea to go from Tuolumne to Donahue Pass is a pretty good one. the first several miles along the river in Lyell Canyon some find a bit too tame but the last 5 miles up to the pass are great. you would probably want to camp in the cirque below the pass and just hike up to the pass after making camp, or the next morning.

James Castleberry

@winterland76

As Art said, the first part is easy, just meadow walking. I brought microspikes and was glad I had them on the final climb. Another party just had trail runners and seemed to do fine. The slope was a bit steep for my taste but there were some steps in the snow to follow. I don't have any photos of the slope or the cirque, but here a few I took hiking back down to TM.Descending back to TM from Donahue Pass
    And some nice stream action.Lyell Fork descending to TM

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Getting really interested in Donohue pass now.
    If anyone has recent pics or trip reports please share.
    I don't mind bringing ice axe/crampons, but if its clear it would be nice to save the weight.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks James! How were the stream crossings?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

forget Donnahue Pass… climb Lyell Peak instead… Best view in the park outside of the valley

bill

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

In a high snow year. This is a pretty easy hike. Lots of bears so use a canisterDon

Here's another of the meadow from part way up.
    Tm2

Don't hesitate to explore off trail up toward Lyell Glacier. Great place to give it a try if you have never done it.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hetch Hetchy Reservoir is cool place to explore with all the waterfalls and cool tunnel.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools