Topic

The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 2: Food & Water

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The SUL Wanderer (Video Series) – Episode 2: Food & Water

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

I ditched my spork a couple years ago. I found that I was not using the fork-end and they are hard to handle.

Instead, I use a long spoon (Sea To Summit .4oz)a little heavy but helpful with freezer bag cooking. If I do end up bringing food that requires a fork or stabbing, I make chopsticks from twigs. They are easy to carve, light and multi-purpose.

Great videos!

My wife chowing down lunch with forest-provided chopsticks
    chopsticks

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes, folding sporks are readily available, but I had to get the spoons from China via eBay. I considered importing a bunch and distributing them myself. The ones I got are made by Fire Maple. They were rather expensive at the time. I see now that competition has kicked in and there are a good number available for $10.99 each with shipping from China.

I also got some folding hard anodized aluminum spoons that were perefectly acceptable. They had a good shape and a very smooth edge.

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

How come the video panel tells me… "Sorry, The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature."

Both episodes say this.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I got the same message from Vimeo, but refreshing my screen after logging in seemed to solve the problem. I have no idea why, and IMHO it shouldn't be necessary.

Wim Depondt
    BPL Member

@wim_depondt

Locale: The low countries

Any SUL techniques to get rid of them tiny silt particles in glacial water?

Wim

John Taylorson
    Spectator

@heyjt

Locale: SoCal

"Any SUL techniques to get rid of them tiny silt particles in glacial water?"

Use a bandana or other fine cloth as a prefilter. I've also brought a paper coffee filter

-jt

George Turner Jr

@gctj

Thanks for renewing my interest in SUL. I am 7 to 8.5 lbs base weight now but always looking to lighten up even if I never go to 5 or less.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Using too small of a rock means that your cord (and the sack) can get stuck in the tree if not enough weight is placed into the rock sack to overcome the friction of the cord running across the branch/through limbs after you toss it.

I struggled with this for years … very frustrating … until I was taught how to eliminate the friction … by a 15 year old boy scout.

1) Have a loop on your end of the line and hook a finger of your left hand through it so you maintain control of that end.
    2) Wrap about half the line around the rock sack. Hold that ball of sack/line in your right hand.
    3) Coil all but about 4 feet of the other half of the rope into loose loops about 8-10 inches in diameter. Close the left hand with index finger extended and pointing where you want to throw the rock sack and hang those loops over the index finger
    4) Throw the sack

I'm right handed, switch hands if you are a leftie.

Having the rope coiled up and not laying on the ground drastically reduces the chance of snagging on surrounding vegetation.

The weight of the rock sack easily pulls the coiled line off your index finger.

The sack starts to roll once is is over the branch and it has reached the end of the line not wrapped around the sack. That roll unwinds the line wrapped around the rock sack … no friction because the the line is not being pulled over the branch.

NOW … anyone have ideas for improving my throwing accuracy?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Very good indeed!

And valuable even for one who's goal falls short (heavy) of SUL.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Nice tip Jim!

If anyone wants a larger rope bag just note that on your MLD order and we can make a larger one for you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"NOW … anyone have ideas for improving my throwing accuracy?"

Depends on how you throw? If you throw underhanded, or throw like you're throwing a baseball, I can improve your accuracy.

Throw the bag like it's a grenade. Best way for bear bag line throwing.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Ryan….

Or anyone else who has some advice….

What video equipment are you using to film these episodes? Ive got a gopro hero 3 for action shots, but am looking for the best lightweight video device for slow pans and documentary purposes. Any suggestions?

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Just want to point out the flip side of wood fires.

Despite our "natural" relationship to wood fires for most of human history, the fact is there is no amount of smoke from a wood fire that is safe to inhale. Most of the particles in smoke are below the nano-meter scale that gets embedded in the lungs for decades and causes all kinds of damage – it's associated with asthma, allergies, heart problems, other breathing difficulties, and lung cancer. Some studies suggest wood smoke is up to 10 times more damaging than tobacco smoke. It's also extremely polluting. In some cities where wood-burning is common, it is the biggest contributor to air pollution and to breathing problems locally – more so than vehicle exhaust.

I know this all probably sounds rather ridiculous, as the good ol' campfire seems such a hearty and natural pastime, but the science is pretty solidly against it ever being a good idea unless absolutely necessary. It's important to try to get past the cognitive dissonance when thinking about these sorts of things. Then again, I suspect a lot of folks likely just don't care much.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

We already had a huge thread on this.

Most of the posters agreed that while wood smoke is harmful, in an open area (outside) you don't inhale much smoke. And having a campfire on a few trips each year isn't significant. I think the issue is with using a wood stove or fireplace in your home.

"Some studies suggest wood smoke is up to 10 times more damaging than tobacco smoke."
    Maybe that's true, but we aren't inhaling pine cigarettes.

Our culture now has an alarmist attitude to anything remotely unhealthy while ignoring all of the significant things that damage our health every day.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

the fact is there is no amount of smoke from a wood fire that is safe to inhale.

So true … in fact about as true as:

the fact is there is no amount of smoke from the motor vehicle that drove me to the trailhead this weekend that is safe to inhale.

Those who travel in 100% electric vehicles will need to climb a power plant chimney to sample that smoke before declaring safety.

If the electric vehicle is charge by photovoltaics or wind turbine … they might be less harmful in the long run (unless you are a bird using a flyway populated by the turbines) but the emissions from manufacturing that equipment are certainly hazardous.

To paraphrase Hamlet (OK, butcher might be more accurate) "Get thee to thy bubble"

I'm not always this grumpy (am I?) but I just returned from a rainy weekend of trial maintenance … no way to keep dry doing that other than staying home and temps were solidly in the hypothermia range. I have a stronger than average personal furnace but still started shivering within seconds of stepping away from the campfire to pitch our TarpTent. Went to bed a couple hours later almost completely dry thanks to that fire.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Throw the bag like it's a grenade.

Doug,

If you saw me throw like it is a grenade you'd quickly transfer me out of your foxhole;-)

(I tried it this weekend)

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

"Our culture now has an alarmist attitude to anything remotely unhealthy while ignoring all of the significant things that damage our health every day."

Like… burning wood?
    I mean, some people use it to heat their homes every day – and the evidence shows this is *exactly* a "significant thing that damages our health."

Anyway, I hear what you're saying, and I also get the (mostly valid) comparison to car exhaust (though the point was really that what I've read on wood smoke is that, despite what we'd like to believe, it is in fact far more dangerous/carcinogenic than most synthetic exhausts – that's possibly offset by the vastly greater amounts a lot of us inhale of the latter).

But where I disagree is that sound scientific research is just a byproduct of "our culture" and can be safely ignored. Do you feel the same way about "our culture's" views on UV radiation from the sun, or cigarette smoke, or looking both ways before crossing the street?
    My point is that if you in any way make decisions in your life about the above three things, which are all well-researched and are extremely likely to have some impact on your health, you have similar reason to make an informed decision about wood smoke.
    If you feel it's worth the risks, or you mitigate your exposure time and stay upwind, etc, then great, that's your decision to make either way. I'll probably do the same from time to time, though I suspect the amount inhaled at a campfire, even upwind, is far greater than we might think. I just think it's interesting to ponder how all that is natural is not always 'good' or always worth the "increase[d] connectivity to the natural environment" as Ryan put it.

My apologies for any potential derailment, as well.

mark henley

@flash582

"But where I disagree is that sound scientific research is just a byproduct of "our culture" and can be safely ignored. Do you feel the same way about "our culture's" views on UV radiation from the sun, or cigarette smoke, or looking both ways before crossing the street?"

Time for me to strip naked and run through traffic on a sunny day while I fire up a smoke!

Sorry …. Couldn't resist planting that extreamly unsavory image in everyone's minds ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Throw the bag like it's a grenade. Best way for bear bag line throwing."

Listen up, folks. I saw Doug make some very impressive throws last summer, including one that still has me shaking my head in amazement.

Jonathan Pratt
    BPL Member

@tyke

Ryan

Great videos – anymore in the series on SUL backpacking? You mentioned…

"Episode #2 will focus on some basic techniques I use in my style of SUL:

Bivy sack camping in inclement weather without a tarp;
    SUL essentials…and nonessentials;"

Still interested in the bivi bag techniques…

Videos brought the whole topic to life!

Shawn Bearden
    BPL Member

@shawnb

Locale: SE Idaho

What's the plan/timeline for the SUL wanderer series? Are we going to see any more – seems like there is a lot left to cover. At least enough for a few more episodes.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

This was such a fun series that I come back and read/watch it every few months.

Someone asked:
    "So you do not like Spectra cord or the cord and rock sack used in the video from Mountain Laurel Designs. What do you recommend then for hanging food/packs?"

I like to use paracord because of its wide diameter to avoid cutting into bark and damaging the branch. We all know how rare those perfect food-hanging branches are! :) Plus, paracord just seems to fit better with the "keep it simple" approach I take on trips described in this series.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Gandered at this series again and hoping for more offerings in this series in the future. Also enjoy the sub 24 hour trip videos. A few video vignettes a year are a great addition to the BPL library.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools