Topic

ULA S-curve vs. J-curve?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA S-curve vs. J-curve?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

I am looking to get a ULA Circuit to replace my GoLite Jam (I think I want a frame back…) for when I get back from Afghanistan at the end of the summer, and the thing I cannot decide on is which shoulder strap configuration to go for.

Are there pros and cons to each one? Anyone have experience with both? I am 5'7" 175lbs, and stocky built, if that helps.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Email Chris just to be sure, but he told me the S straps were nearly 100% going to women.

I got the J straps because I wasn't paying enough attention, and they're perfectly fine for me. Of course, I've had to use men's packs all my life so perhaps I just don't know what I'm missing…..

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

If you have larger breasts you will definitely want the S-curve straps ;)

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

Ha, fair enough!

I have tactical packs with a mild S-curve, and never really noticed much difference. But, makes sense there may be body parts to clear!

I think J-curve for the win.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Not sure about ULA packs but many pack brands use S shaped shoulder straps on men's packs. Just usually with more acute curves on the women's models. My myog pack has s straps that fit me great.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I am 6', 245 lbs with very broad shoulders and the S-curve shoulder straps on the Ula packs fit me better than any pack I've had (and I've had lots). Most packs have the straps sewn on to the pack too close for my neck and shoulders, causing rubbing. The Ula S straps seem to be sewn farther apart and then come back closer on my chest for the sternum strap. Great design…

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

For the most part a J-strap is for men and an S-strap works better for women. But like Steve, sometimes the S shape is nice depending on your shoulder size too and not just your chest.

I personally prefer straps that attache farther apart at the shoulder then come in across the ches to provide more arm clearance at the armpit, then wrap down my sides. S-shapes if well designed for "your" body, can provide an amazing contoured fit. In the end though straps don't matter terribly with a light pack unless they pinch your neck or squash your breasts…

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor
    Chris .
    BPL Member

@cwb

Locale: Los Angeles

I'm 5'7" and 175 and athletic, muscular and the S Straps didn't pull straight on my chest. Only half of the strap itself was in contact with my chest. The straps on the ULA packs have a much more aggressive curve than most tactical type packs. J's for the win

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools