Topic

RAB Infinity vs OR Incandescent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) RAB Infinity vs OR Incandescent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Hi folks,

First of all, in the past I have come onto this forum requesting quite a bit of help/info from other members and each and every time….from all reaches of the globe (from the US to the UK to Aus) I had received more help than I would have thought was possible. I would like to say thanks.

Now to the meat and potatoes.

Has anyone had any experience with the RAB Infinity or the Outdoor Research Incandescent Hoody?
    My current down puffy is a FF Frontpoint which is just way too big. I have been using synthetics with great success (ME Fitzroy and Arcteryx Atom LT) but would like a nice medium thickness lightweight down puffy for climbing.
    Of course, being light is a priority but mainly I'm looking for a very very function able jacket. I'm only 5'5" and heard the RAB is a shorter cut….is this true? A helmet compatible hood is also a must. Any other suggestions are absolutely welcome! :)

Again, thanks for your help and support folks.

Siggy

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

I used a Rab Infinity this winter. It is incredibly warm–the loft just blows my mind. I have the women's and I can see how it might not work for someone with a long torso. But I have a short torso and a high waist, so it's a nice cut for me (I'm 5'5" too). The hood is one of the best insulated hoods I've ever used. I have not used it with a climbing helmet, but there should be plenty of space–it's quite tall while still feeling snug around the face. Really seals out the wind nicely. The hood on this jacket is what convinced me to try winter camping with a quilt instead of a mummy bag! Also, the DWR on the shell fabric is very good. I've gotten caught out in a couple of slushy icy rains in this jacket (doing errands around town) and have never had the insulation fail on me.

Note: I haven't used the OR Incandescent, but OR makes some very high quality products, and their warranty is one of the best.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I agree with Kate…I used my infinity this winter and I have to say it is, by far, the warmest jacket I've ever used. It is humorously puffy. As in no one can take you seriously while wearing this coat, and just forget about it if you are wearing the hood. I was walking with my mom into a target, pulled up the hood against the blowing Chicago wind, and my mom promptly peed her pants she was laughing so hard.

But I was toasty in there.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I also have an Infinity (Endurance version). Specs alone make it lighter and warmer (more fill and at a higher fill power).

I'm 5'8 with a long torso and the men's small covers my back and some of the upper part of my hips. It also sits below the top of my hips in the front.

Edit: looking at photos my Endurance version may be slightly longer than the standard Infinity

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

OR replaced this guys down jacket after his dog ate it … no experience with either jacket … but i do have experience with OR's stellar warranty … buying OR is a riskless endeavor other than some lost shipping ;)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2232898

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've been very happy with my infinity. Its quite warm for the weight and it packs down small. The hood is minimalist perfection. Somehow it fits great with or without a helmut, with no adjustments. Less stuff to fiddle with is a plus in my book, esp when wearing gloves. Its cut pretty short, so it doesn't interfere with the belay loop on your harness. At 14.5 oz in a M, its light enough that for frigid days I combine it with light synthetic puffy for added versatility. Combing it with your atom LT, you'd still be under what most belay jackets weigh. I'm 6'2, 175 lb and the medium fits well, if a little snug.

Tanner M

@tan68

The sleeves are long on the RAB and I can slide them down over most of my hand, if I want to. If I make a loose fist, the sleeve covers my hand. I like to be able to do that sometimes. Otherwise, the sleeve stays out of the way.

The hood is very puffy. I don't recall if the hood is supposed to be helmet compatible or not. There is a lot of room between the outer shell and my head. But that room is all full of down.

The lycra around the hood doesn't fit very tight to my face. I image a helmet could get up under there. I don't wear helmets but if RAB says one will fit, seems there should be room.

I have a large and it is 16 oz. Back is 28". My chest is 41" but I have room for a 3 oz. synthetic vest.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools