Topic

Lightweight Mid Hiking Boot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Mid Hiking Boot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Thanks, everyone, for some great suggestions and feedback. I ordered the Solomon's and as someone said above, there is a significant heel drop that doesn't feel right, so those are going back. I also ordered the Asolo Piuma's and I've never put on a boot that felt more like a slipper. Light, very flexible, super comfortable, and also non-WP, which was my initial request for help. Now I just need to get some miles in them to see how they feel on the trail.

JJ Willcoxon
    Spectator

@h2oboy

Locale: Midwest

Haven't tried Asolo's yet. But, from what I've read, if their last is right for your foot, you're a lucky man. Everything I read about them reflects a high quality, tough, durable product. If I ever go looking for something different, Asolo and La Sportiva are the two at the top of my list to try.

Congrats on finding your fit and have a great trip!

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have the Solomons. Fit is great. Forms to foot and light. I don't have a lot of miles on them but they appear to be well made.

Derrick

Bill (L.Dog) Garlinghouse
    BPL Member

@wjghouse

Locale: Western Michigan

I ordered a pair of the Asolo Piumas (on discount from Oregon Mountain Community). I haven't found any independent reviews on them yet, but I had tried them on at an outfitter whilst hiking an AT section this last summer and found them to be a good fit for my foot.

I found them to be a departure from most of Asolo's designs. They are light for mid-height boots, at just over 15 ozs a pair. Asolo touts a more anatomical design with a "Natural Shape" footbed and sole. I found the toe box to be nice and wide, and the heel narrow enough to cradle mine perfectly. And, they do not have a waterproof lining.

Have only worn them around the house for a few hours, and so cannot give any real insights as to comfort or on-trail performance …

Asolo's US Site:
    http://www.asolo-usa.com/men/hiking-footwear-for-men/piuma-men-s-elephant-black-7.html

Asolo Piuma

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Have tried dozens of boots, and could not find good quality mids that fit and would keep my feet dry. So went to so-so quality with GTX liners – NB Country Walkers(gasp!).
    Mostly leather with a fabric bellows tongue area that can be protected with gaiters, much less clammy then proprietary WPBs like Keene, and they fit my screwy feet. With the 5/32" avg. tread and so-so quality, they will wear out quickly and have to be replaced, but meet the basics needs for comfortable fit, dryness when the leather is kept treated and used with gaiters, and not too clammy. Had to sacrifice traction and durability, though.

You are lucky if you are one of those whose feet fit most boots. Then you have much better choices. But suggest avoiding the many ones that have fabric that extend far enough outside the tongue area to not be coverable by gaiters. Every mesh fabric boot I've tried that allows rain to pour directly on the outer, leaks in heavy rain no matter what WPB liner is used. Danner uses fabric that is heavier and not mesh, and works OK with regular DWR treatment, but the boots are heavy. So now that there are very light leather boots, I've gone back to leather.

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

I've been eying the Piumas all summer. How is the fit/ sizing? Pretty much true to size? I may order a pair this week. Thx.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools