Topic

Around the World Shelter: the Himalayas to the smalltown campground

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Around the World Shelter: the Himalayas to the smalltown campground

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    David Marle
    BPL Member

@dmarleuk

Locale: Close to the Lake District

Over the last three years I have trekked in Kyrgyz, Kazak, Azeri, Georgia and Armenia and used alcohol on both trips with no problem. They do actually refill gas canisters in a lot of these countries (sounds scary but it was okay). If you locate a trekking company, they will help you if you want to go down the canister route. There are lots of great treks to keep you busy! Maps can be a bit of a problem in some areas. There are excellent Russian trekking maps for the more popular areas of Kyrgyz. In Kazak and Azeri it was 1:100000! In Georgia you can go to an office in Tbilisi, choose the area and get them printed off.

Hello Anne,
    I was reading your reply and would love some info about the Altai region. I will be in Russia this summer (school hols). I plan to take the train to Baikal and walk in the Sayan mtns and around Baikal before flying back to Moscow. A friend, who lives in Moscow, is sorting out permits for Elbrus so that seems fine. I don't have much info on the Altai. I have booked a flight with S7 into Barnaul. I believe I have to register?
    Hope you can help
    Thanks
    David

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

I'd be getting a Six Moons Luna solo.
    Ask for some extra guyline/pegout loops to be sewn onto it.
    Have a tieout point added to the top of the peak too.
    If really worried about floor durability you could even order the ultralight floor then also order a separate silnylon floorprint.
    As mentioned earlier carry a couple of silnylon stuffsacs (multiuse) which could also be filled and used as deadman anchors for the tent.
    Carry a small amount of silnet glue and a small square of patching cloth.

Total with Ti pegs about 870g. Plus your walking pole.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools