Topic

TGO Challenge 2013 – Crossing Scotland from the Atlantic to the North Sea

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports TGO Challenge 2013 – Crossing Scotland from the Atlantic to the North Sea

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Robert Hausam
    BPL Member

@rhausam

Locale: Central Missouri

A great crossing and a great report, Manfred! I really enjoyed spending those last few days in Montrose with you – even though I was there early only because I didn't quite get to finish my own walk. Hopefully we'll have a chance to cross paths again – on either side of the pond.

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Pushing the limit on the Allt a' Chonais bridge :-)

Allt a Chonias bridge

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Stuart,

You are a way braver man than me :)

Manfred

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

The river was low, so I came half way across on the stones and then climbed onto the bridge. It would have been 'entertaining' had the river been in spate tho'…

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Ah the New Zealand school of bridge design:).

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Manfred,

Met Office has the May summary data available, and I prepared these images for our own Scotland May'13 trip report (coming soon). Thought you all might like to see them.

Left images are actual, and right images show Anamoly.

It felt awfully darn cloudy on our trip, but I see that 2013 May hours of sunshine was about average for May – averaging about 5 hours a day. Given that on May 15 in Torridon there are 16 hours of potential sunshine, the normal of 5 hours a day is, well, not like California in May.
    Scotland Sunshine

Rainfall in the western part of Scotland was above average – in the 125-175% of normal for the month in most areas.
    Scotland Rainfall

And finally, while we were hiking many locals told us that it was an unusually cold spring. When I look at the data though, May is not much cooler than usual. March and April mean temps were a couple degrees C lower than normal, but May temps are only slightly below normal in some areas, and close to normal in others.
    Scotland Mean Temp

These graphs, and many others, available here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

What an amazing trip. Thank you for posting such a brilliant trip report!

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Manfred,
    Great report! Makes me regret not applying for it this year, but my son is still too young to do it with me.

For anyone thinking about planning a trip to Scotland or any other place in the UK – Ordnance Survey Getamap

http://www.magazine.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/magazine/tscontent/editorials/getamap/os-getamap-home.html

is a great planning tool.

Niels Blok
    BPL Member

@nielsovergaardblok

Hello

As a would be Challenger from a foreign country (Denmark), and never having done any walking in Scotland before, I found your report most informative. Your comments and insights are much appreciated from one who is looking to plan his own high level route. Hopefully the weather will be a little better in 2015.

Thank you

Niels

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

Manfred,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful trip report. It sounded like your TGO experience was a tremendous adventure. I enjoyed reading it very much and hope to undertake such a trip myself some day.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools