Topic

I think I got my Wonderland Trail permit aproved!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning I think I got my Wonderland Trail permit aproved!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

I had been lagging on getting my application in and found out that the campsites had been pretty booked up this summer. I spend a while going over possible itineraries and the "available camps on the WT" document" I faxed in my application two days ago and today I got billed for

CHECKCARD 05/23 MT RAINIER WILD RESERV ASHFORD WA -20.00

so I'm hoping that this is a sign that I'm being approved for my route.

Day 1:
    Longmire to North Puyallup River.
    17.6 miles
    Day 2:
    North Puyallup River to South Mowich River.
    11.8 miles
    Day 3:
    South Mowich River to Mystic Camp.
    16.8 miles
    Day 4:
    Mystic Camp to White River.
    12.7 miles
    Day 5:
    White River to Nickel Creek.
    17.6 miles
    Day 6:
    Nickel Creek to Paradise River.
    11.0 miles
    Day 7:
    Paradise River to Longmire.
    5.5 miles

I'm not sure if I'll want to just hike out and head home on day 6 or if I'll want to camp another night and have a short day in the morning.

-Loki

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

They billed me a week or so before I received my approved itinerary in the mail so I'd say it sounds promising for sure.

Considering that they have the following on their website, I'd say you lucked out:

http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-camping-and-hiking.htm

May 14, 2013: Attempting to reserve camps to hike the entire Wonderland Trail, or a large part of it, is no longer possible for trips starting between July 13 and September 25. See the FULL CAMPS list below. The number of applications for the Wonderland Trail are unprecedented this season.

I'm going the first week in August. When are you going?

Loki Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@lokbot

Locale: Portland, OR

Ian – I read that disclaimer and that's where I found the list of booked camp sites.

I carefully chose all of my camps on my itinerary to be open. I was stoked to find a good 6 day with a max of 17.6 miles. I think a few camps might not be the best choice, but I'd take that over not getting to do the WT.

This will be the 1 year anniversary from my first backpacking trip.

The trip is 8/5-8/11

-Loki

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Every year the talk of the Wonderland makes me want to do it again.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Hi Jeffs 11,

Based on your experience, do you think shepherd stakes are ok for the WT campsites or would ground hogs be a better choice?

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

The ground is pretty firm, I bet shepherds would be ok. I don't have a lot of experience with them. I carry ground hogs all the time for my main peg points.

But the ground is firm so…

Mike Bozman
    Spectator

@myarmisonfire

Locale: BC

Several weeks ago I was in your shoes seeing that the NPS had charged $20 to my credit card. Unfortunately when I got my permit letter in the mail they had changed the dates for my hike and their dates will not work for me. I do remember seeing a section on the application about date flexibility; which I did not fill out. At least I am out only $20. Hope your luck is better!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

This isn't the post you're looking for.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools