Topic

HEET in bear bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Quick question: should I put HEET, the fuel for my alcohol stove, in my bear bag? It sort of has a scent, but it's an alcohol, burn your nose type scent. I'm not sure how a bear would respond to it.

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

My understanding is that bears can be attracted to petroleum-based smells and most national parks will advise storing fuel canisters in a bear canister/bag, however I am not certain there is much research specific to alcohol. Personally I have never found a downside to storing my alcohol in my bear bag, since all my cooking gear is already in there anyway.

Good rule of thumb with bears is play it safe, if you don't not only do you loose your lunch but you teach a bear to associate food with people.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools