Topic

2013 Spring Patagonia Houdini Pants / Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2013 Spring Patagonia Houdini Pants / Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

It all depends right? Am I crazy to not bring a $200 event rain jacket to Hawaii?

In hawaii a windshirt would work for rain gear my opinion. If it's really that rainy I can always take cover.

If someone is putting themselves in danger from not bringing rain gear, they are doing something wrong. Imo.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Thanks guys, you are articulating very well the exact debate I've been having in my own head. Michael, funny because while I didn't say so in my first post here I was considering the very idea you propose, a shopping-bag-thin poncho carried in a zippie to layer over the windshirt if need be, there's one in my storage bin somewhere already. And Dale, I agree I wouldn't expect it to hold up to a true downpour nor would I enjoy being caught out like that.

To clarify my question, I'm not talking about an everyday, all-circumstances solution that would work in the Cascades, or here in Georgia for that matter where we can get summer "gully warshers" that dump a couple inches of rain in 20 minutes. But at first glance it seems possible for the usually-dry High Sierras in the summer. I was in Yosemite this past year also for 9 days, same time of year, and got two bouts of light precipitation, neither of which should have been a challenge for the Houdini. Not that there's any guarantee that this year's weather will be the same, it's just my point of reference that started my wheels spinning.

If I force myself to choose between rain jacket or windshirt, only one or the other, I may be better to choose the rain jacket (DriDucks). Last year that is what I pulled on when it rained and I never even unzipped the Houdini from its pouch pocket the whole trip. And my Houdini is not breathable — maybe technically, but if my face were wrapped in a single layer of what my Houdini is made from I would be dead from suffocation pretty quickly based on my home-brew breath test.

From a weight standpoint the Houdini+uber-cheap poncho is within a few tenths of an ounce of the DriDucks jacket, not an issue if choosing only one solution.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would take an umbrella to Hawaii and get the sun shade advantage. A poncho would be good too.

I've been through some Maui drenchers: warm, short-lived, at least on the dry side and switching to warm sun soon after. NOT what I've experienced a lifetime of in the PNW.

Georgia might be a good case for a super light button down shirt plus DriDucks or poncho

Breathable never means being able to physically breathe through the fabric, but rather a slow exchange of air and the moisture with it.

If you want high aerobic windshirts, there are many running tops like the Nike Hurricane and Reebok Crossfit Lite that are even more breathable than the older Houdini. You tip the teeter totter to the side with less wind protection and DWR though.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

This thread is a bit old, but I wanted to see if anyone had any more current experiences. I think Santa is bringing me a Houdini for Christmas and I ran across this thread that says the new versions aren't very breathable. However, this youtube review seems to contradict that. Even though the youtube review was done in March 2014, I guess they could be testing an older version, but that would seem odd to review a model more than a year old. Thoughts from those using the current version?

YouTube video

hwc 1954

@wcollings

I have 2013 Houdini hoody, pants, and a Nine Trails jacket which is a running version of the houdini with breathable stretch fabric panels on back and sides.

Very nice stuff. Excellent wind protection with a little bit of DWR rain protection. Very comfortable fabric to wear. Packs small. Extremely light. The Houdini is light enough to always carry in your pack for hiking and nice enough to see some around-town duty. I don't completely understand the obsession with "breathability" here. If I get too hot and sweaty hiking in a jacket, I unzip it. Or take it off. If I get too cold (especially in the wind), I put it on.

Pants are great. I often throw them over a pair of fleece tights for cool weather camping. They would be the first layer I'd add if I were hiking in shorts and got cold in the wind on a mountain.

I'd like Patagonia even better if they would stop sending me e-mails telling me how to vote… :)

Viewing 5 posts - 101 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools