Topic

Collapsing a Tarptent – is this recommended?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Collapsing a Tarptent – is this recommended?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

I'm planning a trip this summer that will involve base camping for several days while day-hiking in the area. I'll be taking my TarpTent Notch and I have the extra poles for set up when I need my trekking poles however, it occurred to me that maybe just collapsing the tarptent would work OK while I'm off with my trekking poles.

I'm not just trying to dodge the extra weight (which is a consideration) but I prefer the pitch I get with adjustable trekking poles and would likely use my trekking poles each night anyway, so what's the point of a temporary setup with the extra poles while I'm off hiking?

Has anybody done this and if so, any issues? If I did this, I'd probably stuff my down bag and clothing in a dry bag and leave it in the collapsed shelter, so I'm not worried about getting critical gear wet. Wind could be a problem but if I staked down the shelter, I would think it would be fine.

Thoughts or experience with doing this would be appreciated.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I did it with a trailstar a few months ago and it was not too much bother, I would not do it if very windy.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Hi Mike,

I just spent a couple of nights in the Sinkyone Wilderness with my SS2. I woke up in the morning and pulled out my trekking poles, leaving the tent staked with my equipment inside. I returned to camp at night, reinserted the poles, spent 30 seconds adjusting the stakes, and was up and running without any issues.

I would only be concerned with the potential of the wind to blow away your tent. I suppose the risk depends on the conditions.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I just roll up the sleeping gear in our lunar duo and pile some rocks on top. Then I don't have to worry about stuff blowing around.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> I just roll up the sleeping gear in our lunar duo and pile some rocks on top. <<

I actually thought about that as an option but there is always a chance that somebody might think it's been abandoned and help themselves to it (or move it and take my spot).

I was also thinking that leaving the shelter in place and just removing the trekking poles would make for a quick set up upon my return. The problem with hoping for calm winds is that I'd have to take the extra poles "just in case" the winds weren't calm. I guess I could just gamble and not bring the extra poles and hike without my trekking poles if the wind was blowing hard however, I've kinda gotten used to using them… but it wouldn't kill me to go without, so that's an option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools