Topic

Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Noob Question: Adding Bug Mesh to a Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andrew U
    Spectator

@anarkhos

Locale: Colorado, Wyoming

I want to ditch my bivy this summer and just go with my mid tarp, and I'm concerned about bugs. I camp in high elevation Colorado Rockies so bugs aren't a huge concern, I just mostly want to keep the skeeters out. I use a Sil MLD SoloMid.

As far as adding bug mesh, what's the best way of attaching it? I was thinking of just gluing it on with seam sealer or the like. Is this acceptable? I'm not really comfortable with sewing, especially trying to mod a relatively expensive piece of gear. I know I could always mail it back to MLD and have them do it, but I'm cheap.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

You asked for the BEST way so….

… sew it :( Sorry! I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Gluing will probably end up sloppier, heavier, and may come apart easier. I get not being comfortable sewing, but since Noseeum doesn't unravel, it would be an easy (I know it's relative) add-on.

Good luck and let us know what you end up trying.

Todd

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Hand sew with big looping overcast stitches along the edge. Maybe 3-4 per inch. Use a fairly small needle. It will go fast and will be very easy to remove if you change your mind.

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/hand-sewing-basics

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

If you have access to a sewing machine I suggest you try it out on some scrap material. Sewing a non-critical straight seam, as for sewing in the bug netting, is about as easy a thing as I can imagine, far easier than gluing it in.

Give it a try, you might be delightfully surprised. I was.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools